What's new

Saddle sores?

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Uh yeah...

So I got back from my ride today and noticed that right on the sit bone area I had one large lump followed by another smaller one on the other side, they don't hurt, they are soft like there is fluid in them, and they are really freaking me out.

Sorry about the gross level here but eh.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Sadly no.

Updated sitrep (no pun intended) they now feel more sold than soft.

So what's the cure
I think the only thing you can do is not ride for a while unfortunately. My only knowledge is from anecdotes though.

Or change saddle - something that doesn't push in those places, so they can heal.

So I get them if a ride is interrupted for more then 30 minutes and start riding with the pad still damp. I usually keep riding and ignore the pain. They go away after a few days...

So I've been wondering chamois cream is the solution? Anyone know?

Or change saddle - something that doesn't push in those places, so they can heal.
Ok so besides that just give it some time.

Interestingly enough I wore, for the first time, my new Assos FI Milè shorts which are super padded. hmm

Every rider gets these subcutaneous cysts (or saddle sores) if you prefer. Basic treatment is cortisone cream (remember Lance??) oh yeah, and if they do get more irritating - then a real LANCE!! haha! But I'd suggest a localized , medicated cushion (band aid with some oronine) And in the meantime - use my completely non-patented and open source chamois cream which, btw, should NOT go on the chamois, but on your SKIN (unlike other , real chamois cream or leather pad treatments). It's awesome, and will provide just enough bactericide to keep the baikiin away as well as sufficient lubrication and moisturizing to prevent further tissue damage. Almost any doctor will be able to prescribe a topical steroid cream. It works great - but it does also harden the skin in the affected area and reduce healing over time. So - you better use carefully. Also- change up your riding position a little - move forward or back slightly to change the pressure point away from the sore.

Every rider gets these subcutaneous cysts (or saddle sores) if you prefer. Basic treatment is cortisone cream (remember Lance??) oh yeah, and if they do get more irritating - then a real LANCE!! haha! But I'd suggest a localized , medicated cushion (band aid with some oronine) And in the meantime - use my completely non-patented and open source chamois cream which, btw, should NOT go on the chamois, but on your SKIN (unlike other , real chamois cream or leather pad treatments). It's awesome, and will provide just enough bactericide to keep the baikiin away as well as sufficient lubrication and moisturizing to prevent further tissue damage. Almost any doctor will be able to prescribe a topical steroid cream. It works great - but it does also harden the skin in the affected area and reduce healing over time. So - you better use carefully. Also- change up your riding position a little - move forward or back slightly to change the pressure point away from the sore.
Are cortisone cream and oronine the same?

I keep saying this but ordinary nappy rash cream is what most teams use unless they are sponsored by one of the cream companies - that's basically what you have - nappy rash with maybe some locaized bruising.

Issues that might cause this;

• Poor saddle fit
  • Poor bike fit
  • Poor short fit
  • Too much padding in shorts
  • Too little padding in shorts
  • New to the sport and your under carriage hasn't HTFU yet

No - Oronine is a pseudo antibacterial. (google it). Cortisone cream has many flavors and generally includes some topical steroid as its primary effective ingredient (hence the need for a RX if you race). I like Oronine as a base because it is non-oily, topical antibacterial and mixes well with other ingredients. To that - I add pure shea butter which stands up well to friction and offers a great moisturizer. Cortisone stuff is completely different. But you should ask your doc --- and get the right cream to help the saddle sore. OTC hemorrhoid cream also works - and is non-steroidal, but takes much longer to work.

I keep saying this but ordinary nappy rash cream is what most teams use unless they are sponsored by one of the cream companies - that's basically what you have - nappy rash with maybe some locaized bruising.

Issues that might cause this;

• Poor saddle fit
  • Poor bike fit
  • Poor short fit
  • Too much padding in shorts
  • Too little padding in shorts
  • New to the sport and your under carriage hasn't HTFU yet
Ok so is it also normal for it to be swollen? One side is the about the size of half a hard boiled egg.

I was actually thinking it might be over padding of the FI Milè's because this has never happened in the 3 years I've been riding.

No - Oronine is a pseudo antibacterial. (google it). Cortisone cream has many flavors and generally includes some topical steroid as its primary effective ingredient (hence the need for a RX if you race). I like Oronine as a base because it is non-oily, topical antibacterial and mixes well with other ingredients. To that - I add pure shea butter which stands up well to friction and offers a great moisturizer. Cortisone stuff is completely different. But you should ask your doc --- and get the right cream to help the saddle sore. OTC hemorrhoid cream also works - and is non-steroidal, but takes much longer to work.
Ok I'll look into this tomorrow.

Thanks

Ok so is it also normal for it to be swollen? One side is the about the size of half a hard boiled egg.

I was actually thinking it might be over padding of the FI Milè's because this has never happened in the 3 years I've been riding.

If you're saddle height is too low then all of your body weight will be on that one spot, add a poor seating position or saddle or padding or all of the before mentioned and things can get nasty real quick. Also don't be too alarmed, how often do you check down there for unusual stuff? Most poeple don't so when they first have a feel around with saddle sores they get all worried.

Inflamation is where the body pushes water to the area to help with pain relief and cooling - thats all thats going on and a few days off the bike and warm baths or ice baths won't cure.

Counter to what Tim said about chamois cream most soigneur's will apply a very thick layer of chamois cream to the chamois (thus the name) and then leave for a few minutes to let the padding fully absorb the moister.

Just applying to your under carriage will not do anything as then the chamois will wick the cream off the skin.

We apply a real thick layer before the start of a stage race and then some directly to the skin – this way you have a layer of cream that not only acts as an anti bacteria guard but also a lubricant as you ride – most saddle sore starts off as friction burns that then get infected.

Assos is expensive – stuff and you can make identical stuff far cheaper or buy nappy rash cream in BIG tubs from the local drug store and then add tea tree oil or other stuff – not that difficult and it's amazing to see how many people are sucked in to the marketing BS regarding this stuff.

Saddle sores = Nappy rash.
Buy Nappy Rash Cream!

Hmm it seems that I have a few things to look into while these things ease up.

I did change my saddle hight recently as well.

Also I have new bike so I should contact Chuck.

Thanks for the advice

FWWI - chamois cream IS intended to applied to the pad. It generally has a wax or waxlike component bind the fibers of the pad and create a smoother surface that is in contact with the skin. The mix I use IS intended to be applied directly to the skin as it will be absorbed quicker and the excess amount will localize where the pad contacts most. Just be liberal with the application. If you want to make it more of a pad application, then simply increase the ratio of shea butter , and / or add some bees wax or lanolin. Old school chamois cream was largely lanolin based - and served to replace the vital oils and seal the real chamois fabric that was the pad. Lanolin is a great tissue lubricant and also seals the pores somewhat due the waxy nature of it. It was ALWAYS applied directly to the pad. Some people experience allergy to lanolin, so you might check if your particular brand has it. Many 'nappy creams' use lanolin compounds, by the way. For winter riding or more severe conditions I add some lanolin in addition to the shea butter to 'beef up' the protection and sealing.

...my new Assos FI Milè shorts which are super padded...

FWIW, I had a pair of those 2-3 yrs ago & thought they sucked. No saddle sores, but no room and very quick numbness for the front part of my carriage. After complaining direct, I returned them Assos, they then sent them back saying they were flaw-free along with another similar pair, free (and some other goodies).

I gave both pairs of shorts away. Even paid the mailing cost. I've stayed in PI-land ever since.

FWIW, I had a pair of those 2-3 yrs ago & thought they sucked. No saddle sores, but no room and very quick numbness for the front part of my carriage. After complaining direct, I returned them Assos, they then sent them back saying they were flaw-free along with another similar pair, free (and some other goodies).

I gave both pairs of shorts away. Even paid the mailing cost. I've stayed in PI-land ever since.
A possible idea for the future.

Back
Top Bottom