What's new

S1 or S2?

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Its new bike time (90¥ to the $):eek:
But what to get? I like the style of the Cervelo soloist but undecided on carbon or Aluminium.
Carbon is 314g lighter but is it really worth the extra $? $2800 vs $1200?
I can build the S1 to under 7kg without breaking the bank.
Opinions?

Its new bike time (90¥ to the $):eek:

And 130\ to the pound! It's getting hard not to order every other frameset and bike bit I see online ("It-might-never-be-cheaper-than-now-gotta-buy-it!")...

I did a lot of reading about Cervelos about a year-and-a-half ago, when I was looking for my "bling roadie". Ended up not going with them mostly because the geometry didn't seem like a good fit.

Really liked the Soloists...harsh ride on the aluminum version is the only real knock I've read against them. The Cervelo forums that Thomas linked to are a good source of info.

Incidentally, the Japanese distributor had a booth at the Eco Classic last year and I was able to test ride a (too-small) RS. You're going in April right? Might be a chance to check them out side-by-side.

The S2 is a fine bike. Never ridden the S1. Polymer Head has the S1. Perhaps he can comment.

Philip

Soloist

I ride a Soloist Team, the predecessor of the S1 now for almost one year, before that a had a Cannondale CAAD9 for seven years - this is my only comparison.

It is a good bike, no doubt.

Generally speaking I prefer an aluminium frame because of my weight and the durability of the bike. I just don't feel safe on a plastic bike (which in fact carbon is) and I don't want to check for fissures and cracks or let my frame get x-rayed (as a Japanese acquaintance did recently). Or buy a new frame every three years. I understand however that this is only an opinion and not a given fact.

I had the following minor problems with the bike :

- I needed to exchange the rear derailer adaptor

- The saddle post was sliding, to fix it proved tricky

- Because of the aero profile, the top of the bottom tube is very sharp and it is easy to have paint damages there.

Everything else works perfect. Compared to the Cannondale with carbon fork and carbon seat stays, the dampening effect is not as good so the ride is a little bit rougher. But that's not too important for me.

The S2 is definitely a good looking and fine bike. It boils down to the point if you want to spend much more money to have a better looking bike with a good brand image plus a slightly better performance as a side effect.

My decision was therefore for the S1. I rather spend the money on better components, clothing, latex gloves etc.

Unfortunately Cervelo doesn't do the grey version of the Solist Team any longer, that was an even better design.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...images?q=cervelo+soloist+team&um=1&hl=en&sa=X

It boils down to the point if you want to spend much more money to have a better looking bike with a good brand image plus a slightly better performance as a side effect.

Spending more money and looking cooler makes you faster :confused: I wish that were true :(

Philip

The S2 is a fine bike. Never ridden the S1. Polymer Head has the S1. Perhaps he can comment.

Philip

Hopefully soon as I'm waiting for the wheels, DA 7900 etc to arrive from Wiggle.

zenbiker

Concerning choice, it all boiled down to durability (whilst I advocate the use of polymers/plastics the components have to be designed and used in appropriate service environments).

The S2 and S3 are well engineered (as is the S1) and are marketed as an incremental increase in performance. Only you can decide whether these upgraded advantages are worth paying for based on your priorities. You may have already answered it yourself with your last sentence.

I think I`ll go for the aluminium.
Reasons:
1. 325g won`t make a difference to me. (Half fill the water bottle)... done!
2. I`m clumsy! Hit my old Cannondale into car door getting it out, and had the wind blow it over on Sunday. I don`t want to get into an argument over carbon vs Aluminium durability, however I would feel a lot worse scratching a $2800 frame than a $1200 one!
3. The S1 may have a harsher ride but I will have nothing to compare it against. My old Subaru is probably rougher than a new Mercedes, but its the only car I drive!
4. When people zip past me on the hills I can claim its due to my heavy alloy frame!:D
5. I`m cheap! (Well, cheapish)

Dooh! Comp. cyclist won`t ship to Japan!
They advised to have it re sent via US but none of my folks have ever left rural West Gloucestershire.
Any retailers willing to post to Japan?
PM might be best!!;)

I had my Ridley sent here to Japan from Competitive Cyclist with no problems. Did they give a reason for not shipping here? Actually, they shipped to my military address, i.e. by USPS vice UPS. I was worried the frame would get beat up on the flight over but it arrived with only a small area of paint rubbed off where the tie straps were attached. I would check again, I thought they shipped internationally.

James

Not Cervelo!
"Alternatively, we offer ProTour caliber bikes from other fine manufacturers such as Ridley, BMC, Pinarello, and Colnago. We are authorized to sell any of these brands worldwide. If we can be of service in any way, please don't hesitate to let us know"

Dooh! Comp. cyclist won`t ship to Japan!
They advised to have it re sent via US but none of my folks have ever left rural West Gloucestershire.
Any retailers willing to post to Japan?
PM might be best!!;)

These two were very willing to ship a complete Soloist, at least in May '08

http://www.racycles.com/
http://www.nytro.com/

No experience of buying anything from them so caution is advised as with any overseas purchase.

I just ordered a Ridley frame from Competitive a couple of weeks ago, and a full bike last year.

I've ordered a fair amount of stuff from Excel Sports (never a bike though), and they're fine, never any problems.

(Re: the frame, I had to send it back because the geometry didn't match the number listed on their site OR on Ridley's site. Probably Ridley's error, but Competitive were quick to reply and agreed immediately to accept the frame back and pay all shipping. They also offered a $300 discount as an alternative, but it wasn't ever going to fit. They're not cheap, but their service is very good.)

A suggestion . . .

The Bike Boutique based in Singapore have the 2007 year Team frameset in the gray anodized finish in stock. You need to email / call them to get a price but you may get a good deal. The anodized finish is super tough and pretty.

http://www.thebikeboutique.com/index.php

The service I received was excellent - you deal with a human being :)

Philip

Soloist team Anodized

Philip, I am really tempted. Really, really tempted. I always wanted the grey anodized frame so much more than the red/grey one but I couldn't get my hands on one last year. What shall I do now?

Don't compromise!

sell the old (I know it's not yet even 2 years old) one and get the new one. You always accept compromises too easily m o b ! If you were a little boy and your compassionate and understanding mother were Japanese and standing beside you as you are hesitating to put the frame in your basket, she would surely say: 妥協しちゃ駄目よ! Don't forget to add those shocking-orange Ultremo tires in the basket:D.

Philip, I am really tempted. Really, really tempted. I always wanted the grey anodized frame so much more than the red/grey one but I couldn't get my hands on one last year. What shall I do now?

What were the shipping charges from the US to Japan?
Just did a quote with ipsparcel.com .....:eek:$900

What were the shipping charges from the US to Japan?
Just did a quote with ipsparcel.com .....:eek:$900

May '08
R&A quoted a shipping cost of $175.00 for a complete bike in 2 to 3 days. Didn't ask Nytro at the time (delivery in about a week, FedEx).

Back
Top Bottom