What's new

Ryusei Hill Climb 2010

Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like one to sign up for. Only problem is the friend's wedding party on Saturday with the expected nijikai and sanjikai.:eek:uch: You can see I am getting my excuses ready.

Now thats my type of Hillclimb! Unfortunately its on the same day as the very last JCRC race of the season :mad:

I'll signup for this one - it has a 50+ category and the 5% grade is perfect for the derka derka hammer. (Got it - still accepting entries)

Out of a whim I have signed up for this. Registration is still open.
Basically 15k of resistance training. I'll just try to keep the average on top of 20 and I'll be happy.

As this is my first hillclimb, I was not sure, whether to go with beginner or -29 class. Decided for the later.

Anybody knows about a good training hill (even) closer to Tokyo???
Just a couple of 100meters elevation of 5% incline would help me to get a feeling for it.

Autumnal foliage should be real nice at the time of this race :cool:. I tried the course this summer. It is a bit too short to my liking but otherwise a great climb. The road gets very narrow in places and there are potholes here and there to watch out for.

I'd say, if you leave home early enough :), you should be able to get there in time to complete the entry formalities without the need to stay overnight in Chichibu...

Thanks for the info, Tom.

It looks like the registration on the day of the race is going until 8.00am, which means to get in time for registration, I'll have to leave my home at 5.00am or earlier (~80 km from Fuchu, according to Tom's route) - just saying it makes me feel cold, lol

Another way is to ride for the registration the day before, at 1 pm, and then back home. The next day just come for the race, before 9.20 am, train or bike.

Don't want to take trains, but it is an option too.

Gunjira, you could try Odarumi near Takao (esp. the west side), i think it's ~5% all the way up (~4km)

I'm signed up! It looks like the entry was almost full. If you are thinking about it, better act fast.

Just planning this.

I think, I might take the train out to Ome a day early, get registered, go to this onsen:
http://www.chichibuonsen.co.jp/
and camp somewhere around.

Depending on the weather I would spent the rest of the race-day exploring the area North of Chichibu until finally going back towards Tokyo via the Seibutoujou line.
Going back from Koiwamachi looks convenient and cheap. Hopefully some of the TCCers partacking the storming of the hill want to join me.

Have just completed a recon ride today. ~180 km in total 7 hours, including stops :p1: ...so much pain :eek:uch:

The climb itself felt much harder than I had imagined, short steep sections suck energy, and 16km last FOREVER! Very pretty village views on the hill sides, late autumn must be very pretty there, but the rindo part is just loooooooong and boring. A bit of gravel and potholes closer to the top.

Still haven't decided what is the easiest way to get there on the race day..maybe train to Ome and ride to the registration.

Received my entry in the mail today. I rode the course this afternoon. Cheated and drove out to the start. My impression was that the drafting will come into play for the first 5 or 6 km, then you are pretty much on your own.

There were 2 places that had short steep pitches. The first is when you make a 90 degree right under the big shrine gate across the road. I had to stand there as the 39x27 was not enough for me. The other pitch was after the switchbacks in the town on the side of the mountain, there was a patch of about 150 meters that required some umph.

As has been mentioned, the road was a bit rough, especially near the top. I think there were 2 patches without tarmac. The first was 2-3m long and the next was about 4-5m.

Getting 900 people up the course, I think things will be pretty cramped. I'm starting in the final wave, so I guess it will give me plenty of passing opportunities.

Let's hope for good weather!

I also got the mail. My entry number is 922. I will start in a first group @9:20 with expert class:eek:
Please encourage me when you guys pass me:warau:

PS: Be carefull with wild animals - bear, monkey and wild boar- I almost crashed into a wild boar yesterday on the descent @ Ryusei hill. and saw a couple of monkeys the other day:eek::eek::eek:

See you next week
Naomi

I got my letter as well. Will be starting with the 男子A folks at 9:23. Hopefully I can draft of some stragglers from the first starting group. Is the start time universal for one group, e.g. 9:23 regardless of when I really manage to cross the line? With so many people in my group I'm afraid it might take some time until you really can get going.

The organizers do an early registration on Saturday until 4PM. I will do that and then do my recon of the course, before looking for a good spot to camp close to the start.

Excited already...

Got my letter and hopefully will see you all this week-end!
My start is at 9:26 and I plan to show up just right before it, but will try to catch some of TCCers after the showdown :bike:
Good luck, everyone!

According to the Blog of one of the competitors last year (that Naomi found) the first couple of km of the course (on the main road before the right turn from 37 onto 363) is neutralised with a pacemaker holding the speed around 30 km/h. So the first section of 363 is likely to be very congested as the pack is unleashed up the hill just where the road gets narrow :eek:

The gravel sections are only a few metres long and I was able to cross them at full speed on my practice run, but there is a step up on the uphill side so watch your tyres as you cross that and get out of the saddle. There are a couple of corners with debris on them too but maybe they will be swept by the time we race there. There's a left hand corner towards the bottom of the downhill section that deserves respect as well.

Should be fun!
AW.

ps the Bears are extra-hungry just before they hibernate so that's extra incentive to get up the hill quickly :D

According to the Blog of one of the competitors last year (that Naomi found) the first couple of km of the course (on the main road before the right turn from 37 onto 363) is neutralised with a pacemaker holding the speed around 30 km/h. So the first section of 363 is likely to be very congested as the pack is unleashed up the hill just where the road gets narrow :eek:

ps the Bears are extra-hungry just before they hibernate so that's extra incentive to get up the hill quickly :D

I better camp in town then:(

Any pacemaking will destroy my chance at giving myself some excuse for slowing down on the climbs.

Sweet! I'm starting in the oyaji group - but will to hope to catch some people on the way up! Happy they will neutralize the start. I'm thinking about going up on Wed morn. for some interval / last km runs. P.S. Don't use toothpaste! it attracts Bears!! (They go crazy over smell of mints)

I'm heading up there tomorrow am for a recon. Will take 7am train from Ikebukuro, but perhaps just ride back - its only 30min longer than riding the train! Begrudgingly put brakes and a ss freewheel on - feels like I have to learn to ride all over. The lack of control is unsettling at best. Plus my bike looks fugly with all the cables and crap hanging on it.

Back
Top Bottom