What's new

ryokan near temple 34?

rachel

Warming-Up
May 8, 2012
Hi everyone! I've just joined! I'm from the US and am visiting Japan for 2 months. Right now I'm living in Chichibu and have been visiting all the 34 temples via mountain bike (at home I have a litespeed triathlon bike!) I have the last 4 temples to see (31-34) and am thinking to find a ryokan and onsen and spend the night to turn it into a fun little trip. Any suggestions of a place to stay? Not too expensive as I'm on a budget, but it doesnt have to be super cheap either. I want the Japanese ryokan experience!! Thank you! Hope to meet some of you out here, though you'll be faster than me :)

Hi Rachel. Welcome to TCC.
Where in Chichibu do you live?
I'm in central Chichibu near Yao.

Templaes 31 - 33, I think, are located in Ogano and there are a few ryokans there for the bikers (Ogano for some reason is supposed to be bikers' paradise :confused:).

There is a beautiful ryokan with onsen in Ogano on R299 towards Gunma on the right hand side. I can't remember its exact name though. It is Jikasho or something like that. If you are on R299 you won't miss it. Let me find out and I'll let you know later.
There is also an older guy living in Ogano in a traditional Japanese house and he accomodates people. If I remember well he charges 3000 per night including dinner.

Hope you are enjoying Chichibu.
PM and we can meet if you are OK with meeting other gaijin. It seems like all 5 or so of us gaijin here in Chichibu will have a get together sometime next week.

Bart

Temple #34 appears to be Nittakusan Suisenji (札所三十四番水潜寺 - 3522 Shimohinozawa, Minano) near Minano. This is not far from Nagatoro, a major tourist spot in Chichibu known for its cliffs along the river, so there should be places to stay, but when I google for ryokan in Nagatoro it comes up with the 30,000 yen for two per night kind of places. Real ryokan do tend to be expensive.

Hello again Rachel.
Sorry. I was leaving for work and could not give you any detailed info.

As Joe mentioned, Nagatoro will have plenty ryokans and minshukus. They can be expensive, but there is no shortage of cheaper places to stay in the area as well. Temple #34 is in Minano town (between Nagatoro and Chichibu) and there is a great onsen there called Mangannoyu (満願の湯). I don't remember if you can stay there overnight though. I think the sign there says Hikaerionsen, so probably not, but if you are searching for an onsen in that area, I highly recomend it as it is one of the best onsens in these parts and cheap (Y500). Here's a map -
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ_BIwAA

Another onsen in that area is Bonnoyu, but it is pricey for not even a real onsen (Y800)and the water there is very hot (at least last time I was there)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ_BIwAA

As for that Ogano onsen that I mentioned earlier, it is called Ojikasou (小鹿荘 - www.ojikasou.co.jp/)and it is located in Mitagawa part of Ogano on R299. It is a beautiful ryokan looking kind of like Yattai used in Chichibu Night Festival. It has a great onsen too with rotenburo.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q_BIwAA

The places above are more or less in the areas where the temples 31 - 34 are located, but if you want something closer to central Chichibu, there is a ryokan below Urayama dam just next to temple #29. It's a nice little, typical Japanese ryokan with a bath.

Hope this helps and please PM me if you want to get together while you are in Chichibu. There are a few other gaijin living here and quite often we get together.

Bart

I know it is kind of late as you have only 4 temples left to see, but I thought I should mention this anyway.

There is a good Chichibu onsen/ryokan/temple guide available at the tourist centres such as Seibu-Chichibu station or Chichibu station and probably any bookstore in the town. It lists many onsens in the area and some ryokans too. It also has descriptions, picures and contact details to all 34 temples on the pilgrimage route plus some other known temples and shrines in the area. And of course there is a large section dedicated to flower viewing spots in Chichibu and around. The book is called Chichibu Yumeguri Hanasanpo (秩父湯めぐり花さんぽ). I have attached a photo of the cover.
This is just one of many guides available at local bookstores, but it's the guide I know and use sometimes.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom