What's new

RWGPS claims 6000m total climb on this route - very strange

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
I'm going on a short cycling trip around Okinawa in a few days. Amami Oshima is going to be Day 2 and RWGPS is telling me that this route has 6000m total climb?!? This can't be right. Looking at the elevation profile I'm guessing it's about 2000-3000m in total. What do you guys think? Understandably I'd like to get some opinions on this before I jump in head first.

Cheers for your help.

That was my impression too. I'll upload the GPX file to my Osmand app and see what info that gives me.

If anyone is interested the route was loosely based on the Amami Oshima Challenge 160k route.

Have had strange issues with elevation gain data myself using RWGPS. I don't use it much (find Garmin Connect much easier to use) but IIRC there is a button to re-calculate or re-scan the course.

Many of those peaks - the ones with 30%+ gradients on both sides - are tunnels.

There's a very slight mismatch between the Google maps map (made by Zenrin) and the corresponding elevation data set. The result is that, in uneven terrain, even though a road is smooth, auto-plotting a route along it in RWGPS and some other services gives a continuous series of jagged ups and downs, and all the ups get totalled in the elevation summary you see.

I reckon you'll have 1450 m of actual noticeable climbing on that route.

Last edited:
Many of those peaks - the ones with 30%+ gradients on both sides - are tunnels.

There's a very slight mismatch between the Google maps map (made by Zenrin) and the corresponding elevation data set.
Thanks for the technical explanation, it certainly goes some way to explaining how RWGPS can be out so much at times.
Here's the route I settled on, I managed to squeeze in some more coastal riding and a few more squiggly mountain bits. early the next morning I'll be on a ferry for Tokunoshima. I'm sorting that route out now.

Would be very interested to hear about the event
I'm not actually riding in an event. That race is held in November, I just based my course roughly on their route, but I'll def post happy snaps etc on my return.

RWGPS now has a feature to re-calculate routes incorporating the tunnels. Haven't used it myself as I find leaving the peaks in is a good way of encouraging the right riders to turn up for the ride;)

Back
Top Bottom