RWGPS claims 6000m total climb on this route - very strange

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
I'm going on a short cycling trip around Okinawa in a few days. Amami Oshima is going to be Day 2 and RWGPS is telling me that this route has 6000m total climb?!? This can't be right. Looking at the elevation profile I'm guessing it's about 2000-3000m in total. What do you guys think? Understandably I'd like to get some opinions on this before I jump in head first.

Cheers for your help.

D'Pioneer

Far beyond the black horizon
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah, if you manually add up the total height of the peaks, which are all between 200m and 400m each, it gives a rough guide of about 3,000m, so no idea where 6000m comes into it. Unless you have clicked a magic button that has you going round the loop twice?

Pretty mad island you are off to!

dastott

Speeding Up
May 10, 2012
Fukuoka
Have had strange issues with elevation gain data myself using RWGPS. I don't use it much (find Garmin Connect much easier to use) but IIRC there is a button to re-calculate or re-scan the course.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Many of those peaks - the ones with 30%+ gradients on both sides - are tunnels.

There's a very slight mismatch between the Google maps map (made by Zenrin) and the corresponding elevation data set. The result is that, in uneven terrain, even though a road is smooth, auto-plotting a route along it in RWGPS and some other services gives a continuous series of jagged ups and downs, and all the ups get totalled in the elevation summary you see.

I reckon you'll have 1450 m of actual noticeable climbing on that route.

Last edited:

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
Many of those peaks - the ones with 30%+ gradients on both sides - are tunnels.

There's a very slight mismatch between the Google maps map (made by Zenrin) and the corresponding elevation data set.
Thanks for the technical explanation, it certainly goes some way to explaining how RWGPS can be out so much at times.
Here's the route I settled on, I managed to squeeze in some more coastal riding and a few more squiggly mountain bits. early the next morning I'll be on a ferry for Tokunoshima. I'm sorting that route out now.