What's new

Rust Proofing

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Could someone recommend a rust proofer that I can put into my frame.
What kind should I get and where can I get it from in Tokyo.
Also,since I've been using my bike for a year in all conditions would it be OK just to add the stuff retroactively without doing anything else to the frame?

Could someone recommend a rust proofer that I can put into my frame.
What kind should I get and where can I get it from in Tokyo.
Also,since I've been using my bike for a year in all conditions would it be OK just to add the stuff retroactively without doing anything else to the frame?

Just add it and then forget about it. Your frame won't rust out for another 25 years.

BOESHIELD is the best - and the CRC product is based somewhat on that. I use both. Just pulled my 27yo bike out of storage - it was Boeshield treated about 25yrs ago - no internal rusting at all and just some surface scaling on the chrome plated fork parts. I'm so lazy, I didn't even bother to flush it out - just sprayed another dose in the tubes. SHould be good until well after I'm dead.

The CRC product is very close. You can get it at any Donki.

You can also buy Boeshield online - not sure about the exact shipping requirements to Japan. http://boeshield.com/international/ But my guess is you could get it through the Foreign Buyers Club. I had a few cans stashed back in the states, but didn't bring them due they were aerosols and not likely to makeit through TSA.

Thank you very much for all of your help.
I'll go to the store that Joe kindly suggested and get a can of CRC and spray it in my frame this afternoon.

Be careful not to shoot the red straw inside your frame (like I did :( )

Thank you very much for all of your help.
I'll go to the store that Joe kindly suggested and get a can of CRC and spray it in my frame this afternoon.

Haha! Don't you hate when that happens! It can take hours to bounce that back out!

Be careful not to shoot the red straw inside your frame (like I did :( )

Back
Top Bottom