What's new

Runner's Shop/Store...?

Sounds like a great shopping experience, Stu! I will keep them in mind when I replace my current running shoes. It probably won't be so soon as I'm mostly alternating between SPD shoes (on the Bike Friday) and hiking boots (mamachari, mountain hikes, walking around town) these days.

And congratulations on the personal 5K! I ran my first official 5K in April 1996 at the Big Sur Marathon weekend. I gradually increased my distances, hoping to eventually enter a marathon, but then stopped running for many years because of knee problems.

Stu, friend of mine recommends Art Sports, specifically Hibiya shop.

http://www.art-sports.jp

Japan is very cheap and there is very nice shoes too ! but not over 29:mad:
very poor choice above this size...

Hikari Sports in Kawasaki - they do not cater to people with small feet. Prices are very good and they have a HUGE selection of shoes.

Hi Stu,

Congrats on the 5k and the new shoes!

Interesting reading everyone's recommendations. Being heavy myself though I always go for maximum cushioning. I don't worry too much about fit - I buy half a size bigger than my street shoes because for longer distances my feet swell. I just look at the sole and then buy whatever is cheapest with a thick one - usually Asics or Mizuno but have done Nike and NB. No brand loyalty here. The only times I have been unhappy is when the sole is too thin and I can really feel my feet hitting the pavement. Except for sore hips during full marathons I've never ever had a running related injury and have done several marathons and more than 20 halfs.

This book is a really good read - Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. They are barefoot or minamilist shoe proponents, but they are all as mad as rattle snakes!

My advice for when you transition outdoors is to start REALLY SLOWLY. If you set off too fast you will be winded within a couple of blocks and be totally demoralised. If you go slow, slow, slow you will be able to run miles. When I first started running a trainer from my local sports club cycled beside me and kept telling me to slow down. I ran 5k that day having never ever run before.

Running is a great aid for weight loss and isn't too time consuming. Good luck!! - Isobel

Thanks Izo!

I'm thinking of getting up early tomorrow morning and trying a 5Km run, I'll map it out first and then run it. Thanks for the advice on running slow, I'll do my very best to follow it! :D :rolleyes:

Cheers!

One more thing Stu - pay attention to your footfall. Try and land silently. Thump, thump, thumping just puts more stress on everything. Try to land as light as possible. Unfortunately pavement is a lot harder than a treadmill. Dress warmly for slow running too - will only be 5 degrees at 9am tomorrow. I have a local 10k race and I'll be in a wool top with jacket. Short shorts and singlets are for the fast boys.

One more thing Stu - pay attention to your footfall. Try and land silently. Thump, thump, thumping just puts more stress on everything. Try to land as light as possible. Unfortunately pavement is a lot harder than a treadmill. Dress warmly for slow running too - will only be 5 degrees at 9am tomorrow. I have a local 10k race and I'll be in a wool top with jacket. Short shorts and singlets are for the fast boys.

Yes, I have been working fairly hard on that, I used to shake the treadmill so much, but now not nearly as much, just have to concentrate on being smooth.
I'll dress warm, but in layers, I'm still rather well insulated, so it does not take much movement to warm me up. I can sweat changing my mind too fast :eek: :rolleyes:

Good luck with your race!

Today I ran with the new shoes, they were so good, that I did not even think about the shoes until after I had finished the run! I did a 5 min walk, then I ran 5 Km then I walked to cool off for 5 min. Total 46 min. I'm rather pleased with my time, 36 min run for the 5 Km, that works out to 8.33 Km/h.
Running outside on the road is a lot harder than the treadmill, but I did it!

Stu - nice shoes btw - I ended up with a pair of Nike Rift for the naked foot feel that your's also provide.

Good on you!! Great that the shoes felt so good because pavement is an unforgiving surface. There is always the debate over which is harder - indoor or out. I lost my running partner when my husband joined a gym but I'm not sure there is anything that would get me on a machine. (Pretty much the same with the rollers I bought for the bike. Used twice :eek:uch:)

I managed to stagger around the Wako 10k. It is the first race I ever did back in 1994 and I have a silver medal for my efforts. Only 3 women in the field of 58 and we were handed place cards and no times. Today we had invitational runners, CHIPS and pink skirted women made up 20% of the 300 runners.

Good stuff, Stu, great to hear about the process.

Sounds like I should check them out at some point, I'm a mediocre runner at best.... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom