What's new

Run Forrest, run

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Last month I decided to enter a race (of the running variety). It is two ultra marathons on consecutive days. The race starts in Kasai Rinkai Koen on Saturday morning at 7.30am. The course follows the Arakawa most of the way up to Kumagaya. If you are out on your bike along the Arakawa on Saturday and happen to see a stupid looking foreigner, running with a bib number on his shirt, please feel free to shout some words of enouragement. I noticed that @Andy in Tokyo will be riding up that way, but I think you will be ahead of me. Any support would be most welcome.

Here is day one just in case anyone is going to be out that way.

If he knew there was a Hana Cafe Cinnamon roll stashed somewhere at the Spaceship he'd be like one of those strung out drug dogs racing up the river.

dog-cocaine.jpeg

Kind of looks like him, too.

Just to be clear, @leicaman is going on a mission to find his beloved small time criminal girlfriend Cinnamon Roll which has been kidnapped by German gangsters and is being held up near Kumagaya, and he is going to do the whole thing dressed as The Hound Of The Baskervilles.

Makes sense.

Wouldn't it be better just to call a priest and get the demon out that way? They eventually catch up you know.
Maybe some counseling could help. Don't forget to lube your nipples as well as your crotch. Good luck.

Good luck, @leicaman. You're crazier than me! ;)

Phew. Well that wasn't very easy. Ive mainly been doing 30, 40 and 50 km runs in training. Stepping up to what turned out to be 80km is a big jump. My speed dropped considerably in the last 30km. Stomach cramps, feeling sick and needing emergency toilet breaks were all part of the fun. The sun showed itself more than I would have liked, too, which really zapped my energy. I got to the end though which is what matters most (although I had to do a lap of the station because the finish line was actually 79.8km. There was no way on this earth that I was stopping at 79.8km.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is an absolutely insane performance you put in today.

It is sort of difficult for me to really even imagine this. Kind of like when you try to imagine the size of the Universe; our meagre minds have no frame of reference to put it into context. Not really sure what else to say, other that, "wow" and extremely well done.

Taking hardcore up at least another 10 levels there, mate.

Completely blown away! Who runs 80 km in one day??? Probably a good testament to the focus and mindset of the greatest endurance athletes in the world, road cyclists.

Massive props for doing something that bends the fabric of reality. It's the type of event that will cause people to press the bullshit alarm if you ever mention you've done it.

By the way, were you in full Tracksmith garb?
http://lookbook.tracksmith.com/
https://www.tracksmith.com/products
@TCC will have a good cry browsing their "lookbook" - It's pretty easy to figure out the clothes are designed by the guy who came up with the original Rapha designs. He left Rapha to do the same "magic" to runningwear.

Massive props for doing something that bends the fabric of reality. It's the type of event that will cause people to press the bullshit alarm if you ever mention you've done it.

By the way, were you in full Tracksmith garb?
http://lookbook.tracksmith.com/
https://www.tracksmith.com/products
@TCC will have a good cry browsing their "lookbook" - It's pretty easy to figure out the clothes are designed by the guy who came up with the original Rapha designs. He left Rapha to do the same "magic" to runningwear.

I had a look through that site. I think they need a lesson in true hardcore, from @leicaman. I see reference to 12 mile and 23 mile runs, like that is some kind of big deal.

Not once in their literature do they mention doing EIGHTY MOTHER F**KING KILOMETRES AND THEN JUST SAYING "PHEW" LIKE IT IS NOTHING.

We need to get @leicaman to start his own running clothing brand. Between us we have all the skills to get a brand going, for definite.

Health warning- what follows is a report about running. If this kind of talk makes you want to vomit or uncontrollably punch me in the face, please read no further.

Last night, after my 80km run, it felt like someone was digging a knife into each quad whenever I tried to sit down. Walking was kind of a shuffle, with a lot of pain. I went to bed thinking I would give myself a 20-30% chance of starting the next day's 56km race.
I woke up, having not slept very well and hobbled to the bathroom, still in a great deal of pain. My wife told me to go back to bed, and she would call the race organisers a little later to let them know I wouldn't be starting the second day. I thought about this for a moment, did a few stretches then announced that I would give it a shot. Sometimes, the best and most memorable experiences are also the toughest. I limped the 500m from my hotel to the station and got a train to the start. The steps down to the platform were a killer. It took me a good minute to negotiate them. After a few km, my mind was constantly thinking "how are you going to do another 54?". 20km came around but it felt like I'd done 40. Slowly, the Kms ticked away. Between 20 and 30, there were lots of rolling hills and one big climb, followed by a rather painful descent. 30 came and went. It felt like an age between each km. I finally made it to 40km, then marathon distance. Only 14km to go. I was running on fumes. I popped a gel then got some fresh fruit at the aid station which seemed to pick me up somewhat. Into the final 10km. My legs were in a lot of pain by this time. 5 to go. 4.. 3 ..2.... Another hill. Dammit. 1km. Into the home stretch. The finish is in sight. Over the line. Job done. 136km in two days. Two very sore legs. One very happy freak. I'm really glad I didn't throw in the towel this morning. The past two days have been two of the hardest I've ever experienced. The pain will subside in a few days, only to leave a great memory of a great weekend.

That's my running season over now. Running shoes will be hung up for another year and I'll be moving back over to cycling. Can't wait to see you all in the road very soon.

Back
Top Bottom