What's new

Routing Help - Kyoto to Nagasaki - but with very specific stops needed.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I had a friend ask me to help him map out a ride.
I have no problems doing so and will gladly do it via heat maps - But I am open enough to know that others may know best, so I figured I would ask here prior to starting the laborious task of building the route on strava.

The attached pic shows the overall route.
All 27 points listed need to be hit in order for this to be a success.
If anyone knows a certain section that is also helpful as I know nothing of the area.

243062950_249646707092595_2351508172798077344_n.jpg

I know very little of the area. Perhaps @adventurous cyclist can help with 14-17. Just general observation that the most direct route is probably the one with all the trucks and thus the one I'd least enjoy. You knew that anyway.

I'm curious about why. Some pilgrimage trail?

Sounds like something to do each night at the hotel for just the next day based on how your legs are feeling rather than all at once.

The 26 Martyrs of Japan. Yes - this is retracing the march to their death and crucifixion in Nagasaki.
It is expected to be more than a day trip as it will be both an opportunity to explore a little as well as the religious intent.

I'm assuming those place names are from that time in history? No kanji?

Hyogo probably means Kobe. Muro... couldn't find that one...

Most of the 27 names seem to be still in use today, but not all, so it might be easier said than done to accurately "hit" all of them. Good luck!

Last edited:
I messaged my buddy about where he got the map. He said it is in a book he read and that some of the places are guest es because it is using letters written and second hand accounts to recreate the route.

As @jonmanjiro notes - According to the Map - it looks like Kobe is pt 2, but the letters just say Hyogo. I don't have the book, but the letter may have mentioned on day 2, they were "in Hyogo near the water and the town's people...." - so best guess would be Kobe since it has been established long enough and Akashi appears to be accurate. So it 'makes sense' that it would be Kobe.

I am personally finding this to be quite the interesting homework assignment.

I had a friend ask me to help him map out a ride.
I have no problems doing so and will gladly do it via heat maps - But I am open enough to know that others may know best, so I figured I would ask here prior to starting the laborious task of building the route on strava.

The attached pic shows the overall route.
All 27 points listed need to be hit in order for this to be a success.
If anyone knows a certain section that is also helpful as I know nothing of the area.

View attachment 33561
For Yamaguchi , I 'd take the train from Iwakuni station to Shimonoseki , change train , go to Kokura, get off and enjoy your cycling to Nagasaki.
Route 2 going through from Yanai to Ube , parts of it is too dangerous. Weather can change on you in 3 minutes. Strong winds, possible ice and snow flurries up toward Shunan. If you take the train, you should be fine. If you don't stay in touch . I'm in Ube so you'll be just around the corner from me if you do take route 2. But seriously, them trucks are big. Stay safe.

For Yamaguchi , I 'd take the train from Iwakuni station to Shimonoseki , change train , go to Kokura, get off and enjoy your cycling to Nagasaki.
Route 2 going through from Yanai to Ube , parts of it is too dangerous. Weather can change on you in 3 minutes. Strong winds, possible ice and snow flurries up toward Shunan. If you take the train, you should be fine. If you don't stay in touch . I'm in Ube so you'll be just around the corner from me if you do take route 2. But seriously, them trucks are big. Stay safe.
So no inconvenient option to avoid traffic?

So no inconvenient option to avoid traffic?
I wrote about it on my blog, goes more into detail.
2 places are what I called suicide sections and I'm an old man, I won't do it again.
Only by train.
Going from Yamaguchi to Ogori to Ube is NO problem though.
But I would take my suggestion of Iwakuni to Kokura and then enjoy the cycling.
The mountain pass up there in Shunan is not something I would do in December, you could slide into the rear end under the wheels of the trucks.

Did your friend complete their pilgrimage ride yet? I would love to learn more about their journey.

Unfortunately no. We were working on it and hit several snags.

He ended up transferring to the US, so it sadly isn't going to happen.

Reactions: PAK
Back
Top Bottom