What's new

Route suggestions with coffee recommendations

TheAussieinJapan

Maximum Pace
Apr 15, 2014
Hi all,

One part of Tokyo I am not too familiar with is riding around Komazawa Park, Tama River area. Looking at heading down that way for a ride as its a central point for a friend in Kawasaki, a friend in Iidabashi & myself in Nerima.

Ride would be 3 people, not a massive group, about 30km and end with good coffee or a bakery somewhere around the Sangenjaya, Komazawa Park region.
Would be leaving Tokyo @ 5:30am, back in Tokyo @ 9am.

Would love to hear any suggestions for route & coffee/bakery that open early.

Good luck!
We have several great mom and pop shops down here.... that open at 11.
This is the main reason I think Starbucks does so well. They at least open at 7.

Who wants coffee at 11???

Local to me (Higashi Zushi) is Fatcat Coffee. They open at 10

My biggest complaint is a complete lack of parking... even for bikes. If they aren't busy there is some room.
It doesn't answer your question about your route, but if you are in the area - it is totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

There's always people enjoying the outdoor seating at Mr. Farmer just inside the park. Seems like a nice place and opens at 7 am.
Couple of bakeries near there open at 7 am but none are the coffee-offering sort.

Zushi seems good too though getting back by 9 am might be a struggle.🧐
Thanks for that! I've seen the name mentioned a few times, might be a good option.
Friend recommended heading to Blue Bottle coffee in Sangenjaya as they open early.

Hi all,

One part of Tokyo I am not too familiar with is riding around Komazawa Park, Tama River area. Looking at heading down that way for a ride as its a central point for a friend in Kawasaki, a friend in Iidabashi & myself in Nerima.

Ride would be 3 people, not a massive group, about 30km and end with good coffee or a bakery somewhere around the Sangenjaya, Komazawa Park region.
Would be leaving Tokyo @ 5:30am, back in Tokyo @ 9am.

Punk Doily is just down the road from Komazawa Park....pies, lammies, coffees, beers, snot blocks and Queenslanders available....ah, and just noticed that you're going to be back by 9. Sorry.

I use to go to those nice high quality coffee shops for a long time but in recent times, I fancy me them Famima lattes. cant beat 150yen, plus you dont have to really go out of your way to find a Familymart, eventually you will just run into one. plus open 24 hours, as well as sometimes having seating too ;)

If you happen to go through Shimokitazawa, check out FRANKIE. I think the owner is from Melbourne, or the shop originated in Melbourne or soemthing but anyways they open at 9am. ive been going to that place since they opened in what like 2015 or something. its a super tiny shop but really good coffee and very friendly welcoming staff.

If you happen to go through Shimokitazawa, check out FRANKIE. I think the owner is from Melbourne, or the shop originated in Melbourne or soemthing but anyways they open at 9am. ive been going to that place since they opened in what like 2015 or something. its a super tiny shop but really good coffee and very friendly welcoming staff.

They have hedgehog (cake)! (Priced somewhere in the vicinity of gold, but almost worth it)

At that time it's A la Familima, or sept duex Ichi. They all have outdoor seating if they leave out the milk crates. I recommend the sugar buns or chocolate croissants.

Punk Doily is just down the road from Komazawa Park....pies, lammies, coffees, beers, snot blocks and Queenslanders available....ah, and just noticed that you're going to be back by 9. Sorry.
Oh I forgot about Punk Doily although he only does weekends I think.

I use to go to those nice high quality coffee shops for a long time but in recent times, I fancy me them Famima lattes. cant beat 150yen, plus you dont have to really go out of your way to find a Familymart, eventually you will just run into one. plus open 24 hours, as well as sometimes having seating too ;)

Wouldn't you know it, I actually stopped there on the way back.

Ended up eating at Mr. Farmer. Coffee was average, service was very regimented Japanese style with rules and when I looked into the kitchen could see they hadn't cleaned behind the pile of plates for a looong time. I actually called the waitress over to tell the chef about the filth and dead bugs.

Frankie on the other hand was warm, welcoming, flexible, no rules and even had a coffee AND banana cake for ¥500 in morning. There was no one else there and shop next door was closed so could park the bike and sit outside.

If you happen to find yourself in Shibuya, this place is hidden away in a quiet alley and serves great coffee with most of the biscuits etc made on site. Is pretty tiny, but it's a regular of mine. Haven't been there on a bike (as I work close by) but there should be something that would work.

Missed this, but for next time, Sidewalk Stand at Yutenji is just up the road from Sancha, does great espresso (much better than the very hit-and-miss stuff at Bluebottle Sancha), and the sourdough/focaccia/baguettes are spot on. Opens at 8 though, which would make things a bit tight for your early morning requirements. https://sidewalk.jp/stores/yutenji.php

that's exactly the type of spot I'm after.
what is it about bikes and coffee?

thanks!

Missed this, but for next time, Sidewalk Stand at Yutenji is just up the road from Sancha, does great espresso (much better than the very hit-and-miss stuff at Bluebottle Sancha), and the sourdough/focaccia/baguettes are spot on. Opens at 8 though, which would make things a bit tight for your early morning requirements. https://sidewalk.jp/stores/yutenji.php

that's exactly the type of spot I'm after.
what is it about bikes and coffee?

thanks!
Just one thing -- I haven't been past since January, so the hours of opening might have changed, not just because of the pandemic, but because this is Japan and as I'm sure you know all too well, shops maddeningly change stuff like that without mentioning it on their websites or social media. I advise calling.

This one is on the other side of the bay. The coffee is roasted on site, and in same building is a mom and pop bread bakery.

Kif seriously makes some fantastic Aussie fare. He even has Coopers stubbies on occasion, at least he did before the pandemic I haven't been out there in a while now. Whenever I miss home my wife and I head out there haha!

I'm looking to ride to the Tama area sometime soon as my first exploration ride, so thanks to all the recommendos here!

Back
Top Bottom