What's new

Route suggestions Tokyo to Hakuba

kace

Cruising
Dec 6, 2019
Hello experienced cyclists!

I was looking for some feedback and recommendations on a route from Tokyo to Hakuba
Planning to leave around midnight from Tokyo and the goal is to reach Hakuba at around 3-4-5pm

Ive used google maps as opposed to gpsmyride and other ones - I've been finding the routes using google better

1602892075918.png
Between Tomioka and Ueda is where the hardest climbs are
1602892189470.png

Does anyone have any feedback on this route in terms of difficulty or alternatives?

Also, if there are any must stop at places to check out !

Thank you for your feedback!

It's an extra climb, but Route 406 is a much nicer road between Hakuba and Nagano City than the Olympic Road (Route 33). There are very few cars once you reach Kinasa, so you can just amble along it. There are tunnels between Nagano and Kinasa, but they are all pretty flat. The road leaves Nagano City very close to Zenkoji temple, so you can have a quick look at that first if you have time.

@speedwobble

A huge thank you for the suggestion

Between Route 406, and Route 33 -

Which would you say is more difficult? I've never done either, and have never cycled this far up north from Tokyo before. As much as i want a nice ride, i feel like after 8 hours in, I would be just dying to reach my destination.

1602900795565.png

Is this the route you are referring to?

Thank you again!

No, just the last 40km or so between Nagano City and Hakuba. Until Nagano City, I guess you just go along Route 18 or something close and parallel to it. Through Toumi, Chikuma and all those places.

Compared to Route 33, the 406 is about 300m extra climbing, but is a bit of star road in Nagano. Very rural with hardly any cars.

My experience planning routes says you should go with garmin "popular routes" suggestion.
Google will often put you on those express way (No bikes allowed), if you choose car as your transport, or make you climb stairs and other pedestrian paths, if you choose walking.
Although you can bike on most pedestrian paths, you lose A LOT of time by doing that.

(Or maybe its just luck in regard to where im living)

Google will often put you on those express way (No bikes allowed),

Noted - thank you !

Ive been playing around with different apps to try and figure out which one seems the best.
Im not familiar with any of the roads up there, so im abit worried.

No, just the last 40km or so between Nagano City and Hakuba. Until Nagano City, I guess you just go along Route 18 or something close and parallel to it. Through Toumi, Chikuma and all those places.

Compared to Route 33, the 406 is about 300m extra climbing, but is a bit of star road in Nagano. Very rural with hardly any cars.

In terms of being the fastest/easiest with a balance of safey and scenic, which would you recommend?

Thank you!

The 33 is nice and wide for a main road, so cars and trucks can pass you safely along most of it, but the 406 wins. Cycling tours like Ride Japan's that come to Hakuba from Nagano use the 406.

The opposite direction, Hakuba to Tokyo, is downhill, so if you are going to do the journey by bike in one direction only, that's the easier one.

Strava's Global Heatmap is useful for finding routes that people ride. It also reveals single track people ride on mountain bikes, probably even courses locals don't want you to know about.

The 33 is nice and wide for a main road, so cars and trucks can pass you safely along most of it, but the 406 wins. Cycling tours like Ride Japan's that come to Hakuba from Nagano use the 406.

Thank you a ton, Im leaving tonight I've found the 406 from Nagano! Very pleased to be able to figure it out - thanks for de detailed explanation.

Does this seem correct?

1603174478380.png

Yes, your map is correct. You go so close to it that you should check out Zenkoji temple in Nagano City. There are a few tunnels between Nagano City and Kinasa, but a couple have rideable sidewalks on the opposite side.
Once you get to Kinasa, it is very easy to miss, but there is a convenience store-type shop called "E-Store" on the 406 itself. There is no big name convenience store on the route and the last one is the 7-11 on the 406 west of Zenkoji before you leave Nagano City.

check out Zenkoji temple in Nagano City. There are a few tunnels between Nagano City and Kinasa,

i've saved the temple on my maps and hopefully if i am not dead, ill check it out!
You must be super knowledgeable on the area! i am very very grateful. The goal is to do this ride in 13-15 hours.
Maps suggest i do it in 12 and a half but i think that is a bit wishful!

Leaving in 1 hour!

Back
Top Bottom