What's new

Route planning: December 24, 25 & 26....help me curate my rides.....

Mike from Vancouver

Warming-Up
Nov 12, 2019
Hello Tokyo Cycling Club.....

You seem like a helpful bunch....

I'm passing through Tokyo this December - arriving the 23, leaving the 27th, so of course I have a road bike arranged for the 3 days I am there....

Each morning 24/25/26 I'm planning on heading out early (4:00 am or so) and planning to ride for 4 - 5 hours. I will have bike lights with me.

I'm staying right in Marunouchi by the Tokyo station.

I've been doing some reading about routes and looking at Garmin and Strava heat maps - so far it looks like the Arakawa and Edogawa rivers have nice long cycling routes that look pretty cool.....i.e. I don't have to do too much stopping where I could ride 100 - 150k.

I'm not married to those routes. Other suggestions? Anyone else want to join for some crazy morning riding?

Other thoughts?

I'll hopefully have some of those days off for the festive 500 so will let you know what routes I plan.

Edogawa is a good option as you can get all the way out there along one road from Tokyo station and is a fairly quick paced road to ride on, and Edogawa cycling road is well made, could land a light plane on some spots. If you ride all the way up to the castle where the Tone river meets for me it's about a 170km total ride By the time I get back home. Will definitely put a feed bag on my handlebars that ride,

Arakawa is also a good one to head north.

you could also head down past Shinagawa, Yokohama and onto Kamakura. Come back up the Sayama river cycling road I think it is.

Thanks @stu_kawagoe and @TheAussieinJapan .

That video from @saibot was quite good - very cool footage. Wish I had more time and I was actually in Japan to ride....I will be coming back for sure. Those mountain roads!

Would be great if either of you want to join me.... the Festive 500 is always a good idea...

I'm going to be starting early....(before the subway opens) mainly because my wife will kill me if I'm not back at an OK time....so if I start riding at 4, then I can get a 5 hr loop in. I know that sounds painful, which is why I mostly ride myself here in Vancouver.

I will check out that Sinagawa, Yokohama Kamakura loop.

Thanks!

Once I know what days I get off I might see if I can get up stupidly early and join you for one of the rides. Winter gloves for sure.

Sweet.
Yeah - it looks like winter kit time. Hopefully the weather gods are on my side......
Ping me here around December 22 / 23 ...

Ping me closer to the dates too. I've got Dec 24-30 off inclusive but have a late work finish on 23rd.

currently negotiating with wife once she discovered I took twice as much leave to ride me bike as I dI'd for her birthday....

26th might be a good day for my ride up to Utsunomiya via the Edogawa cycling road. 4am is still a crazy early start. I'm thinking of doing an early start for a 200km plus ride day though, just have figured out the day yet.

@TheAussieinJapan cool. I am for sure riding Dec 24, 25, and 26.
Yeah - 4 is early. Probably only one day that early.
I'm actually not in Japan to ride, so the only way I can swing this with the wife is if I go early.
I would normally be down for a 200K ride, but I can only go for 4 - 5 hours in the AM, so that I am back by 9 or 10 in the morning.
I'm somwewhat flexible, and it would be great to have someone to ride with, so happy to leave "later" at 5:00 AM to suit you .... :)

@TheAussieinJapan cool. I am for sure riding Dec 24, 25, and 26.
Yeah - 4 is early. Probably only one day that early.
I'm actually not in Japan to ride, so the only way I can swing this with the wife is if I go early.
I would normally be down for a 200K ride, but I can only go for 4 - 5 hours in the AM, so that I am back by 9 or 10 in the morning.
I'm somwewhat flexible, and it would be great to have someone to ride with, so happy to leave "later" at 5:00 AM to suit you .... :)
The early start on one of those days might actually be good for me. Once I've got the weather forecast closer I can plan a route that gives you the 4-5hrs (that's safe in dark) and gives ya a decent ride.

En route to Tokyo now after some epic rides in Taiwan.

Planning to go out early Tomorrow morning - like 4:30 start. Planning to be back at my hotel for 9:30 or the wife will kill me.....

Leaving from near Tokyo station. Looks like the weather is my kinda weather.

I can't make the 4:30am tomorrow as finishing work at 9:30pm tonight. Family commitments also make the other days early starts "challenging".

Ill be leading a festive500 RCC ride to Jindaiji for soba before lunch

Xmas morning I'll be doing a ride up towards Kawagoe for coffee then back. About 71km and starting at 5:45am from my station and about 6:15-6:30am our at the Asaka Suimon watergate space station.

朝霞水門
Dai, Asaka, Saitama 351-0003
https://goo.gl/maps/nPbDBromo6DvGWPs8

If you head out to Arakawa and up the river might be able to join up. It's about 30-35km from end of river cycling road near bay up to the water gate & add another 8.5km from Tokyo station.

@TheAussieinJapan no worries....I went up the Arakawa this morning - it was good. Beauty morning.

Thinking a longer one up the Edogawa tomorrow - 4 am departure.....

Is the Edo good to ride?

Had to kind of figured out the various Arakawa closures so kinda slowed things down a bit and then I basically got lost in the Sakura ward.

Edo River has some sections of cycling road I reckon you could land a Cessna on. Good road, a few bike rest stops.

it's about 50-55km from Tokyo up to the Tourist castle where Tone river and Edo River meet.

Were there still closures along the Arakawa?

Edo River has some sections of cycling road I reckon you could land a Cessna on. Good road, a few bike rest stops.

it's about 50-55km from Tokyo up to the Tourist castle where Tone river and Edo River meet.

Were there still closures along the Arakawa?

@TheAussieinJapan yes - lots of little closures - nothing that substantial but harder for me as I don't know WTF I'm going, but all in all a great morning.

Ok - thanks for info. I'm heading out at 4 tomorrow - will got to where it hits Tone and back.

Back
Top Bottom