What's new

Route Feedback

kace

Cruising
Dec 6, 2019
Hi-

New to Tokyo Cycling Club and signed up to get some opinions and feedback on my plan.

Living on the west side of Tokyo (Fuchu) and planning to ride from the 31st - 4th (and possibly back depending on how my legs go)

Ive got 2 places in mind

Fuchu --> Nagoya (or Hamamatsu if i dont make it)
or
Fuchu --> Niigata (worried about snow?)

Given the climbs, and time of year.
Planning to stay at any hotel/love hotel whereever i am whenever it gets dark.

This will be my first big ride in Japan so any feedback, advice, or anything to be mindful of will be appreciated.

Regards

Both of your routes stick to main roads; which may not be very enjoyable. On the other hand, if you head out to mountains, after a certain elevation you'll encounter snow/ice. So, it's a little tricky to do touring in winter.

For your second route, there are definitely chances of snow as km 155 till 205 is known as 'Snow Country/Town' and well known for winter sports. I've partly done both of the rides you've mapped out and the first route was a big miss due to traffic and sections of roads that do not allow cyclists. Anyway, crossing japan (2nd route) was a lot more enjoyable but I did it in spring/summer and stuck mostly to bicycle river paths and smaller roads. You may be able to do it but it is going to be freezing.

If you need more ideas where to ride, I would recommend Shikoku, Izu (nearer), Boso.

Niigata is great riding but you will be taking a big risk this time of year weatherwise.

Just do the Izu coastline and skyline roads? Set a central base?

You could even try to ride the closed roads all the way out to Hakone on the day of the Ekiden. There is a thread about that somewhere on the forum.

Cheers, Andy

Hi-

New to Tokyo Cycling Club and signed up to get some opinions and feedback on my plan.

Living on the west side of Tokyo (Fuchu) and planning to ride from the 31st - 4th (and possibly back depending on how my legs go)

Ive got 2 places in mind

Fuchu --> Nagoya (or Hamamatsu if i dont make it)
or
Fuchu --> Niigata (worried about snow?)

Given the climbs, and time of year.
Planning to stay at any hotel/love hotel whereever i am whenever it gets dark.

This will be my first big ride in Japan so any feedback, advice, or anything to be mindful of will be appreciated.

Regards
The ride to Nagoya on that route is not particularly pretty.
I would also advise the Izu or Boso peninsulas

Thanks everyone!

Ive kind of settled(i think?) on this route

I feel like this ride will be easier than the latter but not as pretty

or

This seems harder with the inclines

Any further feedback appreciated!

Finally ordered some pants and a mask!

Back
Top Bottom