What's new

Route Advice: Odawara to Asagiri Jam!

DanBell

Maximum Pace
Apr 26, 2010
Hey fellow cyclists,

I'm biking out to the Asagiri Jam music festival this coming weekend and was looking for some route advice. After work, we'll be taking the train from Shinagawa to Odawara to knock out the city riding, then biking with camping gear from Odawara station to the festival site (located here). Any suggestions for a route for this stretch? We'll be on the road at night, so traffic shouldn't be as much of a concern as usual, and scenic views are not much of a consideration. I'm not allergic to hills, but I don't want to get there super late either, so I'm not seeking out any good climbs in the area.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Roads to avoid? Thanks in advance for any help.

Daniel

In May I went from Odawara to route 71 on the west side of Fuji as part of a brevet ride. Here is the route I followed then. It avoids the steeper climbs across Hakone and mostly stays off busy R246 (too many trucks!). If you want to take the more direct but bigger route 139 near Fuji city for the latter part you can follow this trail, but I've not done that.

The most direct route between Gotemba and Fujinomiya is route 469 (about 20 km shorter than the second route), but that's a pretty decent climb up to 900 m / 10% grades in the middle, then dropping back to 500 m before you climb to your goal at around 800 m. I'm not sure if you want to do that climb loaded with camping gear.

Guys we have a route section on the forums for this exact question - may I suggest in future to put them there. The reason is that it makes it easier for others to find routes or solutions to routes in the future - General discussion has so much going on that they get burried.

In the mean time could one of the admin kindly move this to the correct section please.

Thanks for the suggestions Joe. I looked at your route but was worried about the distance. I guess I'm weighing time spent climbing hills slowly on a more direct route, versus time spent on the road moving quickly on a more ciruitous route. Not sure which would be better. Here's what appears to be the most direct route, as you suggested: link. Looks pretty gnarly for lugging camping gear around.

What about this? Taking Route 1 though... Never ridden it but heard it's unpleasant, and we'll still get up to 850 meters right from the start.

Sorry for missing the Routes subforum. Honestly, I've never noticed it before, because it rarely receives a post or thread! I'm happy for this thread to migrate there, and will put any future route questions there too.

Have decided to can the ride. My riding partner has fallen ill and won't be able to make it, and the distance and climbing didn't really seem conducive to a fun weekend, with two days of music festival crammed into it too. Instead of cycle, sweat, and tears, it will be shinkansen, chips and beers.

Back
Top Bottom