Route advice - Kamakura area (Ofuna) to Yabitsu

Jun 18, 2011
Okayama
Hi all,

It's your local country bumpkin here, who will be up in Ofuna for a little bit next week, and wanting to try Yabitsu. I want to basically head up R64 from the south and then come back down on R70. I have no idea about the best ways to get to and from those points though, all the roads seems to be narrow with lots of traffic.

Is there any particular route which would be easy to follow for someone who is not used to city streets and relatively stress free?

Thanks

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
all the roads seems to be narrow with lots of traffic.
That about sums it up. If a road goes anywhere useful it will usually be busy, with traffic signals every 20 m. As Jack suggests, hopping on the Tokaido line will save you a lot of grey headache.

If I (city slicker) had to ride there I would probably get on R1 as quickly as possible then turn off north and west on r62 to roughly follow the river up to Hadano.

wanting to try Yabitsu. I want to basically head up R64 from the south and then come back down on R70.
Do or do not. There is no try. And you won't have 'done' Yabitsu by riding up and over from the north. Nuh-uh. Gotta do it from the south.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Here's an idea. Train to Ninomiya. Take r71 or a parallel road if you see other cyclists to follow! Just by the junction before 12 km point is a Daily Yamazaki store to refuel and get drinks. 10.2 km 644 m climb from there to the pass. Then enjoy the beautiful 19 km valley descent to Miyagase reservoir. Check out the park. Have a meal at the ramen shop. Then come back over by the same road. 82 km round trip. Few opportunities for getting lost. Train back.

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
I have ridden past Ofuna to Yabitsu several times.
RT 1 - has a section of road with no shoulder that it 60kph traffic.... Done it twice, I now ride around it. I am used to traffic and hate that piece of road.

http://app.strava.com/routes/322957

http://app.strava.com/routes/245708

Rt 134 is fast but wide. It will take you to Rt 1 in Oiso (past the bad section of Rt1).
Also, if you are not in a hurry, there is a boardwalk that parallels 134 for a good while. You can check out the scenery.

Last edited:

Tanki

Maximum Pace
Aug 7, 2014
I do a regular easy Yabitsu loop from home in Fujisawa. Take Rt134 or the beach path to the bridge over Sagami river, then Rt61 to Isehara. This is a straight and boring road, not so bad traffic wise. There are a couple of tunnels you need to take the path round, but very obvious. At Isehara Station move out of town on Rt63 until the fork Rt64 to the lake. The cycling is all good from here out to the lake. Then Rt70 up and over Yabitsu. I then drop onto Rt62 to Hiratsuka, which is scenic in places(following a river) but has some traffic spots. Sorry I forget the Rt number, but I avoid Hiratsuka central and take this Rt down to Rt134 on the coast and straight back to Fujisawa that way, or popping on to the beach path once over the Sagami river.