Route 246

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
Tokyo
app.strava.com
Is this route rideable between Kanagawa and Tokyo? How are the stoplights? I'm looking for flat, 60km to 90km routes that I can do 2 to 3 hour endurance rides this winter on. Thanks!

Larry

I wouldn't recommend this road for anything. Certainly nothing on the Tokyo side of the river.... lots of traffic of taxis, buses, trucks, bicycles, scooters, etc. Oh, and lights.

Would recommend finding a nice river run....

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I would not recommend it on the Kanagawa side either (I actually think the Tokyo side is better than the Kanagawa side, at least inside Kampachi, because it's slower).

I used to live in Aoba-ku and it was my usual route for driving to Tokyo by car.

There are many flyovers on R246 where bicycles are banned, forcing you to use time-consuming detours unless you want to break the law. If there's no traffic jam, vehicles may move at 60 km/h and faster and believe me, they would not expect bicycles there, though I did occasionally see some brave road cyclists. It's an unpleasant road even in a motor vehicle, let alone a bicycle. I would take almost any kind of detour by bicycle to avoid 246 in Kanagawa.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I ride R246 from Kawasaki side to the Imperial Palace, on my commute. I kinda like it. It's a dual carriageway so there are no cars coming at me. Yes, there are a lot of lights in central Tokyo (63 in 20 km). That's just how it is. And it's not flat.

For flat endurance rides without interruptions, the best thing is a major river like the Arakawa. You can get through without changing trains from Chuo-rinkan to Horikiri.