What's new

Help Roppongi and cross

Premium7

Warming-Up
Sep 19, 2015
all,

A short thread. Looking for training partner(s) in Roppongi. Looking for good tempo rides and more structured training. Would also be happy for a good strong group for long weekend rides.

Also....want to get racing cross. Anyone who will be traveling to races I would love to chat about dates, courses etc. Beer on me!!

Chats, suggestions and info - please share.

Thanks @D'Pioneer. As I'm new to Tokyo still trying to work the whole site out. Thinking there may be a few riders locally I could connect with this weekend. I'll have a look - should improve my geography skills.

Still keen to hear more about Cross and any upcoming races others are travelling to.

Looking for training partner(s) in Roppongi. Looking for good tempo rides and more structured training. Would also be happy for a good strong group for long weekend rides.

A lot of Tokyo Half Fast's rides start and finish in Roppongi. The website and the Facebook page emphasize a preference for (A) sitting around knocking back beers over (B) riding a bike with non-trivial levels of effort. This isn't a complete fiction; but the last ride I was on -- two days ago, and (cough) not actually related to Roppongi -- was a pretty serious attempt to verify that the wind all the way around Kasumigaura is "intelligent" and thus changes angle to keep pushing you back where you came from; no beer was consumed by any of the six of us before we started, on the way, or once we'd finished. And neither the beer non-consumption nor (pant! pant!) the degree of effort (for me, anyway) made it an unusual HF ride. So you might get yourself onto the HF mailing list.

(On that ride: For one shortish stretch the "intelligence" failed and we had a tailwind, so I could enjoy the rare pleasure of cruising at 35 while sitting upright, no hands. And just as amazingly, the sun eventually came out. Have to admit that during some short periods I was thinking "Hrm, I could have stayed in bed"; but it got more enjoyable as it went along. Props to @macrophotofly for making it possible.)

@Premium7 we often head out most Saturdays up to the mountains in Saitama. A few riders come from the Tokyo area. . We don't try to kill ourselves with the pace but it's not so laid back either. I prefer to ride harder during the week then chill out with mates on the bike at the weekend. Distance is usually between 150 and 300km. You are more than welcome to join us

There are a few folks who hit the palace for early laps. If you are on starve you will see where they ride. It is about the only central Tokyo training area that I know of.

This... https://www.strava.com/segments/7011915

Going early (5:00am?) would be suggested to avoid the heavy traffic of later in the morning

As @microcord noted, join the HFC mailing list and look for my rides if you want typically 100km rides in the mountains (starting/finishing with a train ride) or rides out of Ropponghi on the rivers/Bay. However I think you may be after the TCC rides on the Rides section here that @D'Pioneer and @leicaman mentioned above, which usually start without a train ride and go out further

Fantastic guys. All suggestions and help appreciated.

Just having a look at the park rides...is this the Tokyo Imperial Palace? 5am is good and normal for me. It also looks like about at 15 minute ride for me which is great.

Would love to connect with guys who want a steady tempo 100k + from Roppongi on weekends. If anyone wants a ride (this weekend would be great) drop me a message to connect. Can ride to meet, haven't bought a bag for trains yet but have found the roads pretty reasonable thus far.

I live just off Roppongi Dori and I occassionally do some mid week early morning rides (variable starting time, back home by 7am) either blasting round the Imperial Palace or just doing a few random hill reps in the vicinity. If you want to join me sometime send me a note. Then I join the rides posted on the forum at the weekend. The Spaceship is about 18kms from home. I will be heading there this Sunday morning, leaving at 5.50am from home if you want to join me. It will probably be a 200kms, 3000m climbing day if you don't bail early (which you won't be able to without a bike bag).

By the way you can pick up a bike bag from Y's Road in Akasaka, just off Roppongio Dori. It is a useful insurance policy when being beasted around the hills by the TCC lot....

Hey TorC,

I've just ordered a bike bag from here: http://fairmean.com

A friend introduced them and Julien seems like a really nice guy. Looking forward to connecting with you guys. Not sure I'm keen on 200k this Sunday...will drop you a separate note to connect.

Thanks all, appreciate the help!

Rob

Hey TorC,

I've just ordered a bike bag from here: http://fairmean.com

A friend introduced them and Julien seems like a really nice guy. Looking forward to connecting with you guys. Not sure I'm keen on 200k this Sunday...will drop you a separate note to connect.

Thanks all, appreciate the help!

Rob
Jules is a super nice guy and he makes the best bike bags known to man. I love my fairmean bag.

This thread is a touch old so not sure if its still active but I have just arrived in Tokyo and am looking for people to train with midweek mornings. I live in Hiroo so think Roppongi is quite close. If you are still looking for training partners then drop me a note.

I am now back in London (enjoying the kind of potholed roads you would expect in Aleppo....) but before I returned a few weeks ago @Premium7 (Rob) and @Tuomas were occasionally up for some early morning laps of Imperial Palace, or some Akasaka hill reps. Or if you go on a solo mission there are usually quite a few people you can work with / race against. Some other groups are normally out on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, but they do obey the very long red traffic lights so it depends on your view about adhering to the rules as to whether those groups work for you or not.

Cheers, Tor

All - I'm now back in Hong Kong with only slightly less potholed roads than @TorC however palace laps are a great idea. You almost can't go wrong and there is almost always another group there.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

Back
Top Bottom