What's new

Roadworks!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
I don't know whether you've all noticed or not, but there seems to be a lot of roadwork happening recently.
I never really paid much attention to it either until last week when one of my students said, "Yes, it's a sad habit of the Japanese to start (rallying) for the local council's roadwork budget for the next financial year" in March. At first, I was ready to agree that "Yes! Japanese people are stupid to do this!", and it would have been another black-mark against the people with whom I've chosen to live.
But then, I thought "No! Wait a minute!" this phenomenon happens in all of our countries back home - the only difference is the timing of the beginning of the "financial year".
I reckon it happens every year, in EVERY country! So it's not "just a Japanese thing"!
The financial year in Australia begins & ends on June 30/July 1, - so the only thing that's different is what time of year this kind of "budget-grabbing" goes on! And the US, England, and other European countries are different again.
So, the only difference between our countries is WHEN the "money-grabbing" for road-works actually begins!
Anyway, in Japan, it just happens to be late February/early March.

The point I'm trying to make is, for all of the riders out there who use the roads regularly; beware of the extra obstacles in the way - at least for next few months, anyway!
Even on roads that you use all the time and think you know really well! Be on the look out for things that weren't there the day before!
Rubber down! T

Back
Top Bottom