What's new

Road vs Hybrid (Cross) bike and trying 183cm size bikes

Phillipsc1

Warming-Up
May 10, 2020
Hi,

Have been cycling much more this year - 7km commute each way, plus pleasure cycling (sometimes cycling about 40KM a day round trip). Currently use a very cheap 25,000 yen (new) bike, which is half cross / half mam chari.

Looking to buy a new bike, intend mainly to cycle in the city and at the moment don't intend to do much long distance - maybe 15 - 20KM one way (though going to Shonan coast seems appealing).

Wondering given this usage profile which bike type suits me best? I have never tried a road bike before so wondered how the visibility is impacted (I like to enjoy views / looking around) and also the comfortableness of drop style handlebars and riding position. Also sometimes I may need a small bag - I know cross bikes have options for adding rear racks - not sure if feasible for road bikes.

However I do enjoy going fast, and do pedal pretty fast on my current bike, so wonder if road bike would be better. I managed to try a Cross bike (Trek FX3 Disc) my size in the Trek Aoyama store, but I cant see anywhere that has my size to test a road bike my size to get a feel for its suitability for me, looking to spend around 100,000.

Any thoughts on both type of bike, and also stores that I could test a road bike (I am based in Shibuya / Shinjuku, so if anyone could let me borrow there bike for even a ten minute run that would also be great!).

"Road bikes" come in different varieties.
Of course marketing has created all kinds of terms to convince you that new stuff is coming out... but it has always existed.

Geometry is typically "Race", "endurance", or "touring" - there are tons more, but overall - those encompass most bikes.

I much prefer the endurance geometry. It has a taller headtube and can be quite comfy on the hoods. In times where you need some aero - get in the drops and away you go. The overall geometry can be relaxed and absorb some road chatter helping with long rides.

The race geometry is a bit more aggressive. For me - I find my breathing is restricted on longer rides. most likely due to my lack of flexibility. The stiffer frame while incredible for sprinting is just a bit harsh for my liking as well. Again - it is personal preference. The bikes are super fun to ride - but long rides... nope. Not interested.

Touring bikes - These are road bikes in that they are meant for the road, other than drop bars, they are not really similar to the others. Much wider tire clearance, longer wheelbase, designed to haul - the materials are stronger and heavier.

The attached is how Trek does it... H1, H2, H3. H1 being most aggressive, H3 most relaxed.
None of these are "upgrades" from one another as they are just meant to be ridden differently.
trek-fit.jpg

Personally, I vastly prefer flat bar bikes for inner city commutes, so a cross bike with disc brakes sounds perfect. Also, given the distance, you will need something solid. During my first stay in Japan, I bought one mama chari and chewed through 3 BBs in 10 months. The shop just replaced the bike. So getting a relaxed flat bar bike is my starting point. But my actual suggestion is to try and test ride different bikes, different styles of bikes and make up your own mind. Many people in Europe prefer mountain bikes as commuters. They are slower, yes, but they are also very sturdy.

What @bloaker said not just applies to road bikes in particular, but to all bikes in general. That's why sizing is important. Unfortunately, I find that Japanese shops do not allow you to test ride bikes. And even if they did, they would probably not have your size in stock. That brings me to my next point: be aware that many makes and models are imported only up to size M or even S (or up to size 54 cm for road bikes). Getting a bargain in the wrong size is not a good idea IMHO.

You might find something in this facebook group. Most sellers seem to be in Tokyo too so you should be able to try first.

Good luck!

Andy

Hi,

Have been cycling much more this year - 7km commute each way, plus pleasure cycling (sometimes cycling about 40KM a day round trip). Currently use a very cheap 25,000 yen (new) bike, which is half cross / half mam chari.

Looking to buy a new bike, intend mainly to cycle in the city and at the moment don't intend to do much long distance - maybe 15 - 20KM one way (though going to Shonan coast seems appealing).

Wondering given this usage profile which bike type suits me best? I have never tried a road bike before so wondered how the visibility is impacted (I like to enjoy views / looking around) and also the comfortableness of drop style handlebars and riding position. Also sometimes I may need a small bag - I know cross bikes have options for adding rear racks - not sure if feasible for road bikes.

However I do enjoy going fast, and do pedal pretty fast on my current bike, so wonder if road bike would be better. I managed to try a Cross bike (Trek FX3 Disc) my size in the Trek Aoyama store, but I cant see anywhere that has my size to test a road bike my size to get a feel for its suitability for me, looking to spend around 100,000.

Any thoughts on both type of bike, and also stores that I could test a road bike (I am based in Shibuya / Shinjuku, so if anyone could let me borrow there bike for even a ten minute run that would also be great!).
I ride a Trex FX3 and swear by it. I'm sure that bike would be brilliant for your commute.
I have a spare Trek FX with rim brakes. It needs a new chain and perhaps some work on the front forks. I rode it from Kagoshima to Tokyo without a problem, and have also ridden it a lot this month while my other bike was being repaired. I have all the papers and you're welcome to the bike if you will ride it regularly. I can probably deliver it on the weekend.

my 2 cents worth, get a flat bar bike, for visibility and comfort. If the cycling bug bites hard and you want to go farther and faster, buy a new bike and keep the flat bar for city commuting. The Trek FX is well rated.

Thanks for your replies so far - seems maybe a Flat bar would be better for me.

Regarding test drives the Trek store allow it and I took it outside for 15 minutes, and they had Large, but the guy recommended maybe I try an XL due to my leg / arm length (which they don't have a test driver of).

Also said it may take two weeks to get a slot for delivery / handover of the bike if I place an order now.

It looks like you're on the right path.
A touring/cross bike with a flat bar (maybe even with a little back sweep) sounds like a good choice for the kind of riding you're doing.
Once you got rolling you'll find out what do you want for you're next bike (in the meaning of addition not as a replacement).

I just had a quick look at the sizing chart of the FX. While the seat tube jumps up around 7cm from L to XL and the stand over hight around 5cm, stack increases by 3cm and reach even is the same. I've not got a Lot of knowledge in bike fitting, but for my understanding stack and reach are most important to decide on the right size.
You could try the XL if there's a chance to do so, but I could imagine that L might be a good fit for you, unless you've got very long legs.

Last edited:
You can easily fit a rear rack to anything with a metal frame using very cheap bolt-on clips and the seat post. The frame does not need eyelets like a dedicated touring bike.

For commuting, you want unsexy practical stuff like fenders, a big bell, and flat pedals. Mama charis have many issues, but the low top tube on them is very good. A dyno hub for a front light might be an idea too down the line. As a fan of bar ends, I recommend Kangaeroo's bike!

For commuting, you want unsexy practical stuff like fenders, a big bell, and flat pedals.
Yes to all of that, and lights!
Mama charis have many issues, but the low top tube on them is very good.
… that's putting it mildly. But what I can't figure out is why nobody cares to get a mama chari in the correct size and set up the seat at the correct height.

Just to throw another option out there. I would personally get one of these if I were you.

Last month I started to commute by bike so I used my gravel bike. It was such good fun.I realise it's a little over your budget but I bet it puts a much bigger smile on your face than city bike would. It would be perfect for any rougher stuff, too. One thing I hate about riding in the city is that a lot of the roads have groove lines near the kerb which can grab a skinny tyre and throw you around a bit. I've never had that problem when riding my 47mm gravel tyres.

Not sure Giant in Japan has sizes that cater to long limb athletes. Also on M with maximum seat post extension the bar drop is going to put him in a very aggressive head down position. An Endurance model might work if you wanted a more upright position for street commuting. Just watch Giant with their compact frames.

I'm a touch smaller than you are and I could get a test on an ML from the Giant store but I had to wait a week for them to get it for me. Also, just for reference, I had no trouble getting a Cannondale CAAD in a 56 from my local bike shop. It came in less than a week if I remember correctly.

That revolt does look pretty tasty! Would be at home as a fun commuter and for long rides exploring in the mountains⛰

Best of luck with your search!

The bigger brands are usually fine. Ditto for the most popular models. But some of the less popular items are only available in smaller sizes. BMC's mountain bikes, for example, are only sold in Japan up to size M. Ditto for, I think, for Felt. At trade shows only Cannondale had a single size 56 cm bike with them. Size >> groupset, etc.

Have decided to go with Kangaeroo's kind offer - tried the road bike and agreed the viability, maneuverability and comfort for the shorter rides I will be doing probably suit a Cross bike more.

Will try some long distance rides and if I get bit by the bug will look into getting a road bike too in the future.

Thanks for all the advice and help, especially to Kangaeroo for his kind offer

Back
Top Bottom