What's new

Help Road touring advice for newby

George5

Maximum Pace
Oct 16, 2014
Looking for a frameset or frame suitable for a bit of touring (rack mounts bottom of the seatstay) . Buyer is a poor student ( my nephew) so anything / any condition considered. . Going to be a cheap build franken bike so rather than 粗大ゴミ he'll take it. Short legged 18 year old will look at anything about the 53cm in a cross old road bike and about a 17" MTB.
Thanks a lot.

G5.

Added info--I just priced shipping on a medium frame pack from apidura:

<quote>
Thank you for your email and for your interest in Apidura!
Shipping to Japan would be GBP12.00 for either model of Frame Pack. We dispatch using FedEx and the typical delivery time is 3-4 days for Japan.
We hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
<end quote>

My Apidura receipt

apidura.PNG

This is my setup for offroad bike packing - universal and fits all my bikes.

I have ortlieb bags and racks for touring - only fits my touring bike.

Thanks Bloaker, I have a set of racks and panniers already. Great idea though. I really just need an ld frame as even he doesn't want to have the responsibilty of looking after my ustom made road and tourer bikes. He can look after the racks and panniers but if a few thousand dollars of bike got stolen he would soon become .......... nevermind.

SOLVED, a mate has just said the young fellow can borrow his not used very much tourer. Jeez cyclists are a great bunch of people.
Okay next question, hammock or tent. He wants to go hammock route but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

I use a single man tent. Most of my friends use a hammock. One uses a Bivy.
There are downsides to all and pluses.
Hammock requires mounting points, but does excellent in the rain, surrounded by outside airtemp..
Tent/Bivy requires a small clearing and often a protective footprint.
Tent's can have a vestibule that allows you to have some form of outside strorage under the fly cover.

So thick woods, hammock might work best. Camping on the beach, tent. I am not a fan of the Bivy.

Ultimately it comes down to the user.

Back
Top Bottom