What's new

Road shoe recommendations

YamanashiLiving123

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
Hey,

Getting back into riding again after many years away, the sport has changed drastically. I am looking to purchase a pair of cycling shoes. No racing, only training rides from 40 km and up. What shoes are you using, any recommendations. Looking at pearl Izumi leader pro II, as it seems like a good mid level shoe and the colors match my bike. Shallow? Yes...

Try on a pair of Sidis that suit your budget.... If they fit well, buy them!
The straps, buckles, heel pad and insoles are replacable. The quality is excellent.
They tend to be quite narrow but have a Mega version for our club footed friends.
Ignore any differing opinions.... especially any fashion conscious hipsters recommending laceups! ;)

Plus 1 on the sidi. I have had a few pairs, well made shoes.
Pearl izumi is the cycling equivalent of uniqlo. Very hit or miss in my experience(I have never had their shoes though)

On a more serious note though, nowt wrong with Shimano's shoes. Very well priced and comfortable. They usually have wide sizes in most models (although they aren't the best looking shoes ever).

Given the new bike you've just purchased, I'd imagine you're not a 'nodder' and so may go for something a little nicer than the Pearl Izumi (both for function and fashion!).

I am still pontificating about new road shoes and will go for either the S-Works ( @D'Pioneer ) or the Giro Empires (Reflective) (@leicaman ).

The Sidis are also great (just style and fit are not for me).

All are pricey of course and I'm sure there are more budget type shoes such as the Shimanos which will still serve well.

Thanks for the quick posts. Sidi seems to be the go to shoe. Was decades ago as well. Also looking at the Giro Apeckx.

Last edited:
I got back into cycling nearly 3 years ago now and got myself a pair of strap in shoes. Nothing wrong with them. Then they broke so I needed another pair of shoes. I got some giro laceup shoes. For me, its not about fashion but I can safely say that these are the best shoes I've ever had. I love doing up the laces before hoping on the bike. Something tribal to it that feels so natural. When I was thinking of purchasing them I was worried about silly things like the laces opening or getting loose etc but I can safely say that I don't want anything else now. Love the look and the feel. The tunability that lacing gives you. They just fit really well. But just go try some on before you buy. I tried on a lot of different shoes of different sizes and forms and it was the giro's that did it for me the minute I laced up in the shop. Even if you order from the web, try different shoes somewhere first. They all fit differently. Pick ones that suit you and make you feel fast.

Sounds like a sensible approach.

Besides Ys road any other shops in Tokyo that have a variety of road shoes to try on?

Nalsima friend? Never heard of it. Where?

Never mind googled it. I transfer at tachikawa once a week. Gonna check it out!

Thanks

By the way is the nalshima friend shop in Shinjuku and the one in tachikawa the same as far as inventory? One better than the other?

By the way is the nalshima friend shop in Shinjuku and the one in tachikawa the same as far as inventory? One better than the other?

Never been to Tachikawa. The one closer to Harajuku/Gaienmae is the one I frequent.

Given the new bike you've just purchased, I'd imagine you're not a 'nodder' and so may go for something a little nicer than the Pearl Izumi (both for function and fashion!).

I am still pontificating about new road shoes and will go for either the S-Works ( @D'Pioneer ) or the Giro Empires (Reflective) (@leicaman ).

The Sidis are also great (just style and fit are not for me).

All are pricey of course and I'm sure there are more budget type shoes such as the Shimanos which will still serve well.

Liking the look of the Giro Empires. Like the old school lacing. Being an old codger and all...

I just got a pair of lace up Giros - mine have relatively few air holes (only 5 tiny ones if I remember correctly) in them so perfect for the winter months. They will too warm for me in the summer months, but the Empires look like they breathe more voluminously. I am surprised how comfy mine are despite being a little on the slim side for me.
Otherwise my vote is for the Shimano's - I've had three pairs in a row, and they are great shoes (still my summer shoe)

One tiny, tiny thing which bothered me about the giros was that their sole (on the shoe I bought) wasn't ready for the KEO cleat memory position. That would be nice when switching cleats instead of the extra fecking around.

I just got a pair of lace up Giros - mine have relatively few air holes (only 5 tiny ones if I remember correctly) in them so perfect for the winter months. They will too warm for me in the summer months, but the Empires look like they breathe more voluminously. I am surprised how comfy mine are despite being a little on the slim side for me.
Otherwise my vote is for the Shimano's - I've had three pairs in a row, and they are great shoes (still my summer shoe)
Three pairs in a row? What broke or wore out on them? Sidi stuff is all replacable.
My Sidis must have 30,000 km at least on them, on second set of buckles due to crashes and numerous heel plates but still looking good.... not sure about the smell?
I also like the look of the lace ups and don't doubt the comfort but I often need to tighten or loosen my shoes on the go.... Sidis, Shimanos and SWorks offer this.

Three pairs in a row? What broke or wore out on them? .
:D
The first pair were white and nothing wore out on them - just got bored trying to keep them white - they were also SPDs and I wanted to move to Speedplay. I admit they didn't have a replaceable heel but it wasn't worn out when my wife decided they needed to be thrown out a couple of months back. The other two pairs I am still using - one is in the UK and the other here are my current shoes which are still in good knick

My previous pair - Diadora speed racers wore out. The sole of the shoe actually started to part ways at the rear of the shoe. That was less than 10,000km for sure but I'm hulkishly strong. Didn't buy another pair...

Back
Top Bottom