Road bikes with most reasonable Japan prices

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
Can someone tell me which maker has the most reasonable price difference between their domestic (or US) prices and Japanese market prices, given the current exchange rate?

I saw some Felts on yahoo.jp shopping that were the same as the American price, but those limited stock bikes... I know that Canndondales and Treks both cost upwards of 50% more for the 105 level bikes.

And who carries 58 cm bikes in Japan that aren't custom ordered?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
I bought a Trek here four years and some months ago. My purchase was chosen and fitted in the US--at a bike shop from my long-ago uni days. But I ordered and bought it here for the local connection, which I think has worked out in my favor.

I've since gotten some preferential discounts on yearly service (vs. a bike that I'd bought abroad and schlepped in), and, importantly, after four years Trek replaced the wheels completely free. The value of that, besides getting better wheels, was about 6 man, maybe 7.

That wheel replacement was immediate and no-questions-asked (like two days). I can only guess, but there is the possibility that it may not have been so fast and easy had the bike been a US purchase.

I think it's a 58, and it took maybe 2-3 weeks to get here, maybe three with set-up on this end.

My local shop had little info after ordering on arrival time, but they gave me the JapanTrek guy's email, and according to his info, the bike's arrival and prep were spot on--no tracking number but all the info he gave was correct. The shop was actually behind the curve on this, but I don't fault them for not being as obsessed about it getting here as I was.

Sep 2, 2009
Yeah, the added hassle factor of ordering online, without being about to see the kit in front of you is only going to be worth it if you are buying in the UK and paying in Yen.

(Which is exactly what I am doing, and loving it!)

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
Bianchi, perhaps? Bianchi seem to be more popular here than in NA, and the built-up Infinito was very close in price to overseas.
Hmm, they're "only" $200 more than NA prices for the alu/carbon 105 C2C... if the Yen was closer to 100 instead of 90, they'd be the same price.

Pinarello and Opera, the prices are worldwide so very very little difference in cost unless you use yen and buy in the UK.
Pinarello is a little over my price range. In fact, even the bike I want is really a little over my price range...haha