What's new

Road bike training, March 2016

Alice_Wilier

Warming-Up
Jan 31, 2016
Hello there, new to this forum!
My name is Maria-Alice, and I live in Greece!
I'll be in Japan between 03 and 29 of March and I wanted to continue my training while there, since this year I'll be racing in the national championship here in Greece (road bikes).
I'll be in Japan on vacation, the actual schedule is still not finished, most days will be in Tokyo I believe. I'd like to know if it is possible to rent a good road bike while there (I have found a couple of sites but I'm not 100% clear on the proceedings). Or is it more prefered to buy a road bike through CraigList or something similar, and sell it prior to leaving Japan, since I will be there for quite some time?
Also what are the rules on cycling on roads in Japan, and are there any good routes in/around Tokyo that I could take? Or some team that I could join for training on some rides?
Any info will be much appreciated!

Hello there and thanks for the info!
What would be a good place in Tokyo to get a hotel, as since it won't be easy for me to navigate round the city I would like to meet with other riders in as easy/short distance as possible.
Sponsors?!?! Hahaha, that is very funny, the things are very bad here, there is not such thing as sponsors, the local team actually had me pay for the team jersey/shorts etc (and yes, there are sponsors printed on them!), and I just joined another team (the previous were quite amateurs), were at least I think I won't have to pay for this short of thing. But yeah, most things we pay for out of our own pockets. :-/
It will be very expensive to get a flight case and fly my bike to Japan, plus it will be quite a drama to carry a couple of suitcases AND the bike from/to the airport etc.

You are very unlikely to find a suitable bike on Craigslist. Take a look and see what's there.
Your main options would be to leave one suitcase at home and bring the bike instead, or rent. Unless you can find someone who is happy to lend you a bike.
The meeting place for most regular TCC group rides is here. There is a pike path all along that river, so being close to that river would be a good idea.

I might be willing to let you use my commuter bike (2015 canondale caad8 51 cm, 105 shimano groupset) during that period under reasonable conditions. You would need to bring your own pedals though, the front light, and the contents of the saddle bag (multitool, mini pump etc) but that's about it. You can contact me via private message if you're interested.

Hi Maria-Alice,

FYI most bikes here have the front brake lever on the right hand side, as we drive on the left, UK style.

Thank you for you replies everyone!
Grant, thanks for the info, I'm looking at the maps right now, trying to figure things out! :-D
Luka, thank you so much for the offer! Yes I will be bringing with me my Garmin Vector pedals, along with shoes, tools and everything else! I was given another option earlier and I am looking into that, I will let you know ASAP! Thank again, that is so kind!
PSB, so like a motorcycle, really? That will take a little bit of getting used to, but I'm sure I'll manage, must keep in mind on fast descends! (I don't think I'll be able to do any, and I'm good really fast at going uphill, not downhill, so no problem, hahaha!).

Hello again!
The time for this trip is getting closer and I can't wait for this!
I have one question that someone might be able to help with.
Is there a pay-as-you-go of sorts SIM card that I can buy that allows plenty of data usage for my mobile phone, so that I can use GPS when cycling in case I think I can't find my way back?
Thanks! :)

Great! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it enormously! I'm checking all the info right now!

Back
Top Bottom