What's new

Road Bike stolen!

Charcoalbuddy

Warming-Up
Jul 15, 2011
Unfortunately I had my new carbon fiber road bike stolen on the streets next to Shinjuku station on July 30th. I left it locked up for about 4 hours while I went to see a movie. When I came back it was gone. I confirmed with the Shinjuku bike impound lot that my bike was not confiscated for illegal parking, it was just stolen. I did file a police report, but nothing has turned up yet.
So let this be a warning to anyone who leaves their expensive carbon fiber road bikes parked on the streets of Tokyo, there are bike thieves out there!! Also I recommend getting a heavy duty lock for your bike. I think the one I got wasn't very strong.

I'll have to wait until next year before I can afford to buy another road bike so this really sucks. I was looking to going on rides with some of the folks on this BBS.

Grieving...

Uh..., without listing make/model/color and other identifying details, it kind of looks like you're just writing it off. (??)

This is very bad news and I'm sorry to hear it.

What type of lock were you using? What type of location was it?

The information cited by JDD would indeed be useful.

jdd - my post was just a word of caution for everyone on this board. It wasn't meant to ask for help to find me bike :) But if you'd like to know I can definitely provide details of my bike.

I think it was one of those Frog(SP?) locks for 2,100 JPY at Y's Road. I think it was mostly made of rubberized plastic. It was next to Shinjuku station close to B13 east exit.

My bike details are:
Maker: Focus
Model: Cayo 3.0
Year: 2011
Color: Black with red trim

I live around Sjuku so I'll keep my eye open. BTW - there are a few SE Asian gangs that hit up higher end bikes and then send them to Vietnam, Thailand, Spore, etc ... so keep your guard up. On the otherhand - it may show up. My wife's Trek crossbike 'came back' after about 6 weeks - it was dumped in Ikebukuro. If you have the Police sticker on it - really helps.

If you need a loaner , let me know. Depending your size I may be able to help you.

I think it was one of those Frog(SP?) locks for 2,100 JPY at Y's Road. I think it was mostly made of rubberized plastic. It was next to Shinjuku station close to B13 east exit.

My bike details are:

Thanks GSAstuto for the offer. Much appreciated. At the moment I have a Cannondale Quick 4 cross bike I got a few weeks before I purchased my Focus Cayo road bike so I can still go out riding just not as fast as the Cayo...

Bike parking/locking tip

If your bike is worth ¥200,000, then imagine you are leaving a box containing that sum of cash. Where would you put it and how would you lock it?
Sorry to hear about your loss, I would find out where they take the illegally parked bikes from around the station and go there to check.

Zenbiker,

It did check where they take bikes in Shinjuku that were parked illegally and they didn't have it.

B13 Shinjuku

My bike details are:

6051866969_0ef43dc600_b.jpg

Which is right out the front of ALTA.

The only thing I could add is, when I have to lock my bike up outside, I usually pick a VERY busy thoroughfare - ie. On a main road, in front of a McDonald's or Starbucks. People usually think twice about stealing things if there's a possibility of the owner coming out of one of those shops right at that moment; or even the possibility of the owner watching their bike through one of the windows.

I NEVER park it / lock it up in dark alleys, or where there aren't many people walking by.

It may be counter-intuitive, but rather than trying to "hide" it from people who might want to steal it, I think having it right out in the open is more of a deterrent.

Anyway, sorry for your loss!

Ya, that's too bad.

I usually don't stop anywhere so I don't need to lock up my bike.
I use one of the cheap JP bikes for the 'other' duties.

If I do know that my bike will be parked anywhere then I take my backpack and three locks (two pretty big cable locks (but cheap) and a U lock from the States, ya they are kinda heavy).
I lock both wheels to the frame and the frame to a big object.
I also remove my light, computer and take anything expensive outta my seat bag.

I do know many of the delivery guys in Tokyo have good bikes. While they are doin a delivery some of them lock their bikes (usually a cheapie thin wire) and some don't. Seems like the majority don't.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

I am also one of the opinion that bikes like the ones we ride should not be locked up or left anywhere.

I guess it can't be helped sometimes though, and I am sorry that on this occassion yours got taxed off you.

Hope you get it back.

Well I learned my lesson. I won't leave it unattended if I can't see it all the times. I'll get another bike next year so I'm stuck with my cheaper Cannondale until then...

Insurance?

Does this insurance alot of TCC folks have cover bike theft?
I know in the US there is an insurance you can buy that will even cover parts that are broken from crashing

I think this was discussed not too long ago. The Mont Bell bike insurance I have does not and I think that is the norm.

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

Bike theft is rare in Japan. But it happens. I use minimum security myself.
[ It also helps that I ride a 63 cm. bike and it does not fit most anyone.]
Good thing you posted the details. We are bike freaks and if anyone will notice it we will. GOOD LUCK !

My bike details are:

@CharcoalBuddy

Do you have any photos of the bike?

Would be good to see exactly what it looks like, which will up the chance of any of us being able to recognize it when we are out and about.

Cheers

Yikes:eek: that's only meters (<10m) from where i usually park my bike along the road whenever i go to the Kinokuniya nearby every weekend.

Will be on the lookout for your bike:mad:.
Recently had a omawarisan at my local koban cut my wire lock(had lost my key:eek:), the type commonly used in the local cycling community here, took less than a half a second with almost no effort on his part using bolt cutters:eek:.Not even a single decibel of sound to give away the deed done.

About bike theft gangs. Its not limited to the city and high end bikes. Even my grandparents in the inaka have had their charinko stolen numerous times:eek:uch:.

Shimano cable cutters go through those crappy wire locks like a hot knife through butter. The other thing is they are compact small and easily hidden up a sleeve.

In fact a sharpe Whack is enough to split the housing unit and free the hook.

The crappy wire locks are for when you are out in the mountains and inside a conbini or toilet! Not for use on the streets of Tokyo's crime central.

Also lets stop with the comments like "Oh Bike Crime is low in Japan" it's not, it happens and its on the rise. Its also not Chinese or North Koreans but Japanese. There was a guy busted recently in Tokyo how had a very nice ebay and second hand sales gig going on.

The groupsets are normally worth more to a bike thief than the frame is.

So word of advice, If you are using your carbon 200,000 yen plus road bike to run errands on and use as a commuter and all you are using is a flexy cable lock then expect to get it stolen.

Back
Top Bottom