What's new

Road bike shopping

japanviking

Speeding Up
Jul 13, 2010
Hi,

As mentioned in my intro post I am looking around for a new road bike. I am currently on my 2003 MTB with skinny tyres and I commute 50km's per day on it.
A few more weeks of this and I will be ready to treat myself to a new bike I figured.
Problem is....the more I look at different bikes the harder it gets to choose.
So far I am looking at:

Specialized Roubaix.
Seems like a good comfortable bike. Newer had a carbon bike so it could be interesting to try.
Seems like they will update the frames for 2011 and the only bike that is available early costs 290 000 and comes with a full 105 group.
I am a bit worried that the quick development of CF frames will have me looking at upgrading the frame as soon as the next generation is out...otherwise this bike would probably be perfect for me.

Cannondale Caad9
The only version of this bike available in Japan is the version that is partially 105 equipped. Feels expensive at 239 000 I think. I already own an older C'dale hybrid that I kept back in Sweden and I really like how that bike feels.
I like the "timeless" feel of the Caad 9 but they seem severely overpriced here in Japan.

Lynskey R230
Another option is to buy a nice framset and build a bike. Lynskey is currently offering this frame together with a nise for for 2000 USD.
I could possibly build a bike for just under 300 000yen with a full Ultegra group from my optimistic calculations.
I am thinking that a nice Ti bike will last a long time before I will feel the urge to upgrade....in some ways completely opposite from a CF bike.

Some questions:

Am I optimistic to think that I can build a bike for 300 000yen if I am spending 170 000 on the frame/fork?

Are there any dealers that are willing to cut a deal on more expensive bikes like the C'dale or Specialized? It seems like these bikes cannot be bough from online shops. If I bought a Caad9 I would prefer to have the Ultegra equipped EU version..

Any other brands or models that are reasonably priced here in Japan?

I bought a CAAD9 in Japan, at SEO cycles, and paid just a touch over 200,000yen for it.

It came with 105 all over it, apart from the brakes which were Tektro.

I have since 'Dura-Aced' it, with the help of the exchange rate, and sold most of the 105 parts to my mate.

You can definitely get deals here in Japan.

Don't expect to get anything above a 56cm on a CAAD9 though...

You got a CAAD9 5 for 40,000 yen less than MSRP?

Damn...

Almost makes me feel bad for getting on here (still hasn't arrived yet) for $1990 if you include what it's gonna cost me to get to Japan.

Wait..no it doesn't.

(especially since you can't get it in blue in Japan)

No, the CAAD9.5, which comes with 105 / Tektro, retails at 219,000yen in Japan. Not sure where you got the 239,000yen figure from...

http://www.cannondale.co.jp/bikes/10/model-0RA95D_0RA95C.html

There is a super expensive CAAD9.1, which comes with mega-parts, but that retails for 379,000yen

http://www.cannondale.co.jp/bikes/10/model-0RA91D_0RA91C.html

EDIT; and yes you can get one in Blue in Japan; The CAAD9.6 comes in blue.

Look here;

http://www.cannondale.co.jp/bikes/10/model-0RA96D_0RA96T.html

You can't get the CAAD9 5 in Blue in Japan.

My bad, I was going by the USD converted price, which is $2,500 ($1000 more than the domestic MSRP).

You can't get the CAAD9 5 in Blue in Japan.

My bad, I was going by the USD converted price, which is $2,500 ($1000 more than the domestic MSRP).

OK, yeah, you can't get a blue 9.5.

If you are after a bike, and want to save some cash, send me a private message. Might be able to sort something out for you.

I thought I would post an update on this subject. The Focus Cayo feels great. This is my first real road bike and I am surprised how comfortable it is. I was almost getting worried while waiting for the bike....all the reviews mentioned how stiff and uncomfortable this bike was supposed to be.
I think I have put around 500km's on the bike by now. Just Called Aoyama-san and scheduled a fitting for Tuesday next week.

I thought I would post an update on this subject. The Focus Cayo feels great. This is my first real road bike and I am surprised how comfortable it is. I was almost getting worried while waiting for the bike....all the reviews mentioned how stiff and uncomfortable this bike was supposed to be.
I think I have put around 500km's on the bike by now. Just Called Aoyama-san and scheduled a fitting for Tuesday next week.

Congratulations! Please post some pics here. :)

Back
Top Bottom