Road Bike Rental

Harry

Warming-Up
Apr 13, 2015
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm in Tokyo until August and looking to do a bit of riding while I'm here.

Do you know anywhere that rents out road bikes for periods of up to 3 months?

I've emailed GS Astuto but haven't yet heard back.

Rapha CC also seem to do a year-long membership which includes free rental of a Specialized Roubaix, but it's quite expensive.

Are there any other options?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm looking for a 56/58/60cm frame if that makes any difference...

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
Three months sounds like a very long rental period. Hard to believe that you'd find something for a palatable price.

In your position I'd find a used bike in decent nick, and have it fixed up just for me. (How about something like this? Nothing glamorous about it, but it should do the job.)

Harry

Warming-Up
Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the response microcord.

Yes, I've done a bit of research and think buying/selling a bike is probably the best option. I'm just slightly worried about the hassle of having to sell it before I go.

That vintage bike looks good, although slightly expensive for what it is.

What are the best websites to look for this sort of thing?

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
I've never used Cycly myself, but @hat and beard has, and speaks well of it. I've only bought a couple of used bikes in Japan myself: one was from a local, very old fashioned store (since closed) and the other was from Yahoo Auction. The former experience will tell you nothing; for the latter, I guessed that a seller who'd sold a lot of other used bikes and who took the trouble to provide lots of photos would be reliable, and my confidence turned out to be well placed. Or maybe I was just lucky.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo
That bike has mudguards. And if you remove the mudguards, it will have clearance for mudguards. Either may offend the sensibilities of the conservative. (Me, I think it's a good idea.)

I'd guess that Cycly or similar would be happy to take it off your hands in August, but pay you very little. If you're lucky, then at about the time that you leave there'll be somebody here in a similar position to the one you're in now, and you'll be able to get a bit more for it than Cycly or similar would pay. But that would be a matter of luck.

Figure on having it pay for itself while you're in Japan. If you can get some money for it when you leave, that will be a pleasant bonus.