What's new

Road bike rental September 2013

Siri Hildonen

Warming-Up
Jun 25, 2013
Anyone having tips how to rent a road bike in Tokyo 10-13 of September or Yokohama 14-16 of September and do a longer ride hitting mountains or velodrome riding/racing. Any races a female amateur racer from Norway can join in that time? I do ride 48-50 " bikes.
Siri

Hello Siri

It seems that there's only one place that routinely rents out road bikes: Rin Project. And Rin Project (which is in Asakusa, i.e. NE Tokyo, a fair distance from Yokohama) describes its bikes as restored bikes from the 1980s. I'd guess that they're not really raceable.

I've been known to rent out bikes from time to time. When you get close to coming here, give a shout. I have track bikes as well. That size is easy - all the U23's JICF I support ride about the same. Actual racing on track is a bit dicey as there aren't really that many unsanctioned races. However there are training sessions at several local velodromes that are occasionally open to citizens. You can also rent and ride track at Shuzenji CSC. But you need to check schedules very carefully. Depending the Keirin or other training , the track(s) may or not be open to public rentals. Road racing is easier - you can enter JCRC races with no license requirement and there are generally 'fun rides' in form of enduros and HC happening all around Japan.

Thanks! Would have been fun to race, but a good ride will do too. Anyone races or training rides I can join 11-12 september? Would be fun to try out track riding as I have never done that before. have been doing road races and crits.
I will give a shout and hopefully you will have a bike for me!

Siri

Anyone races or training rides I can join 11-12 september?

Hei!

That would be a Wed/Thu. Most people on this site do their more interesting rides on Weekends only. When I check on Strava I see mostly commuter rides being logged during the week, but you may be lucky.

You also mentioned Sept 14-16. That would be Sat-Mon and if the weather is half reasonable, there should be a number of rides on the weekend.

Thanks! I will be in Yokohama the 14-16 of September if someone rent bikes in this area...I will be on a conference during daytime so I guess a group ride will not be possible :)

If you bring some Lutefisk, I'll promise you a group ride.

haha..That may be fixed, maybe to early to get it though as it is a christmas dish :) and I might get stucked in custom...Will be in Tokyo 9-14 sept as I have just booked flight ticket.
I need some riding when in Japan as Im training for the final in the UCI World Cycling Tour Italy, preferentially some hill climbing but have no idea if that is possible?.
Which area in Tokyo will be the better to book hotel for attending your group ride :) East of the city center?

The hill climbing had better be fairly close by; and if it's close by then it will be to the west or northwest. But surely you'll want to spend at least some time schmoozing with your fellow conference-goers; perhaps it's better not to stray too far from the conference venue when choosing a hotel.

Tourist in Tokyo 9-13 of September then conference Yokohama from 13-17 of Sep. Staying close to the parks west of the center might be a good option then, close to Yoyogi park?

You can also take the bike on a train to take it out to the mountains which are west of Tokyo. You just need to wrap the bike into a bike bag (rinko bag), which might involve removing one or both wheels, depending on the bag. It takes 2-3 hours by bike from the centre to the mountains, much quicker by train. Shinjuku in the city centre has good train connections anywhere. Takao station, Musashiitsukaichi station and Otsuki station are all good starting points for mountain rides. Another popular route is up the Arakawa river towards the hills of Saitama and towards Chichibu. Check Google Maps and the "Unofficial Tours & Short Runs" section in this forum.

Wherever you are in Tokyo (or almost wherever), there are fascinating places to see. Yoyogi's no exception. But somewhere like Nakano (a little to the west of Yoyogi) is on average a couple of ranks cheaper and thus more interesting (to me). I'd expect that hotels there would be cheaper, though right now it's bedtime here and I'm not rushing to investigate.

To travel to the mountain routes that are to the west or north of Tokyo, Shinjuku is probably the most convenient place to stay. Check the routes posted in the "Unofficial Tours & Short Runs" section mentioned above, or here for more routes west of Tokyo. If you have some kind of smart phone or Garmin computer it should be fairly easy for you to follow them.

I've started doing routes to the west during the week as well. If you find a bike feel free to message me nearer the time.

Edit: The GSAstuto shop is also in Shinjuku

Hi Siri- If you wanted I could lend you my bike for the time you are here - I live quite near Yokohama. My bike is a Leader 725 or my friend who has a bike shop in Nakano could rent you a cycle. Sept is a nice time to come.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for all the tips and offer of bike rent. I appreciate knowing that I most likely will get to bike when in Tokyo/Yokohama and I am very excited to check out the riding there and hopefully I will not have to rely on my smart phone gps but have a ride with someone who knows the roads. Cimbing the mountains would be great! The Velodrome riding is out as it seems more complicated to get organised. I will contact those who have offered a bike rental or a group ride. please keep posting if someone has more good tips!

We train on Arakawa (One of the rivers north/westish 20 km from Shinjuku) every morning from 6:00am. We do loops of 10km around a lake. No cars. Pace about 35km/hr +

Usually about 50-60km.

Feel free to come and join the pain.

Map --- (if you are a stravaite)

http://app.strava.com/segments/1555048

Sounds like fun, hopefully I will get to rent a bike and do both a hill climb and a loop ride when I'm there :) and the female QOM on Strava was not very impressive :)

Go for QOM, Siri!

The Arakawa is great from Tokyo but a bit far from Yokohama.

Back
Top Bottom