What's new

Road Bike Insurance Recommendations

RoryGale

Cruising
Dec 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am new to Japan and I brought out with me my Bianchi Aria Road Bike (approx JPY 350,000 new) so looking for an appropriate insurance provider.

Welcome any suggestions and advice :)

Best,

Rory

General advice--choose something that gives you representation (tho more expensive).

:)
I went with the one you buy at 7-11. About 3400 per year. Has road service and attorney fees. I think good coverage. Got to reup this June again. The underwriter is MS & AD insurance group. One of the leaders in Japan for insurances.

If you have car insurance you can often add coverage for bicycles under "general liability" insurance. I think mine added about 2,000 a year and covers me damaging anything by any kind of accident.

Just a heads up.... none of the insurance anyone has mentioned so far actually covers your bike, only liability and injury/death, but you should get it anyway.

I only know of one insurance company in Japan that covers bikes, but the premiums are so absurdly expensive you would be better off saving up the money to buy a new bike every three years.

I only know of one insurance company in Japan that covers bikes, but the premiums are so absurdly expensive you would be better off saving up the money to buy a new bike every three years.
Does that insurance cover races by any chance?

http://www.goodhoken.co.jp/roadrace/ It is specifically for road racing.
AFAIK none of the cycling insurance plans out there that cover injury/death, which is arguably a lot more important, cover racing.

Again, if you don't crash your bike in four and half years (according to my math), you could have bought a whole new bike. And that's assuming a total loss, which I suspect they wouldn't allow (e.g., if your front derailleur still works, it's not a total loss). Otherwise you have to consider the deductible.

Race per race, it's very expensive insurance. You'd probably be better off investing that money in ETFs... Not to mention you can usually repair frame damage for much less than the cost of a new frame.

Wiggle has some really good insurance bike plans that cover racing, but they're only good for the UK.

There are some other bike insurance plans out there that cover crash damage and/or theft, but they don't cover racing.

Back
Top Bottom