Help Road Bike 56 - 60 cm

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
Hi everyone,
I've been kind of a stalker of your side the past few months, I must say. I've arrived in Tokyo last November, but still couldn't get a Road Bike to train/move around. In this way I am searching for a 58 cm, still as amateur as I am a believe a 56 or a 60 cm would do just fine also.
Now the big issue, I have a kind limited budget, I was aiming for the maximum to be around 50,000 Yen. I thought I would be able to find some as there is lots of options for entrance road bike around 100,000, but I can find a used one for half price, quite strange in my opinion.
I am Setagaya ward, so if also recommend any shops that I should take a look where I have some chance of finding my desired models, please let me know.

Bruno

supernova

Warming-Up
Mar 27, 2015
I'm actually in the same boat, looking for a bike as well (and am keeping an eye out on auctions). I'm a total amateur and am not sure what size bike I need; from what I can I figure out from searching, I need 53-55. Is that correct if I'm 5'6? Is it ill advised to go out of that range or can you just adjust the saddle height? I also noticed many of the bike auctions don't mention the size.

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
I've been searching the craiglist, I will try the yahoo with google translator and see if I can get something. Thanks for the tip.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
BDS, which is the big weekly motorcycle dealer auction now has a dealers auction in bicycles these days as well. Apparently there are some good buys passing through as they have just started doing this and there are not a huge amount of dealers there yet. You would need to talk to someone who goes like these guys.

http://www.apexmoto.jp

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
@supernova check this site for size, they make a quite good approximate fit http://www.competited ivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp#type also check the sites Hat and beard send, they have tons of stuff on your size and price range, not just much on mine.
@hat and beard thanks for all the options! That Cadd I almost decide on it until I realized it is sold out, as far as I understood at least. Now the Fuji on cycleParadise seems perfect, thanks a lot! I will check with more details after work.

George5

Maximum Pace
Oct 16, 2014

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
This ad has turned into a bit of a conversation however.
Init. Moved to General Discussion, as the OP is unsure of exactly what he wants.

When this is concluded, do post a specific Wanted advertisment, with details of exactly the bike you are looking for.

For now, feel free to continue this conversation in its' new location.

Cheers

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
I am pretty sure of size/type I want, problems is what fit on the budget. My main objective are small rides, (up to 100 km) as I plan to use it move around and train for smaller triathlons (which I still need to figure out where to train swimming and having time for that).
Still your suggestions made me find some possible deals!
Thanks a lot!!

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
go off a measurement for your inside leg.

go off a measurement for your inside leg.

read here for a primer http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit
these sections will help you the most
Measuring Inseam and Frame Size
Frame Size

This ad has turned into a bit of a conversation however.
Good luck..
Ow also I measured my size and I've tried different sizes before, that's why I am aiming for the 58 cm. Still I used a 60 and a 58 before and both felt good (60 almost didn't fit) therefore the 56 should be in a good range also.
And the website that I posted before, they make a good approximated fit using all your measurement
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I'm a Setagaijin too and swim in a 50-metre pool near Kinuta park fairly regularly. There are lots of public 25-metre ones dotted about in schools and such. Whereabouts is your nearest station and/or train line?

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I am close to Komazawadaigaku, is there any pool good for training?
The 50-metre public pool I use near Kinuta Park is 5 km from Komazawadaigaku.
There is also this 25-metre public pool 3 km away (part of a school), and this 25-metre public pool also 3 km away (also part of a school). There are also a few 'sports' 'clubs' dotted about. They will probably make you get out the pool for 'safety' if it looks like you are actually trying to get fit.

I did some open water swimming last year so can help with that when you're up for it.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
Tokyo