What's new

Rim tape question

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Recenty I have been having rim tape troubles leading to multiple punctures. My HED wheels need 20 - 22mm rim tape, almost impossible to find in Japan. I just bought some Velox 22mm cloth rim tape and put it on, however one reel wasn't long enough as this is probably meant for a MTB wheel! Luckily I bought 2 reels.

So I was forced to cut a strip from the other reel and put it on. My concern is that there is a joint between the two pieces of tape on the rim. Are you getting my drift? As it's not 1 complete piece I'm worried the gap may stretch over time and may cause more punctures in the future where the 2 pieces join. What do you guys reckon? Should I overlap the tape so there are no gaps at all or would this raised surface lead to more puntures? Any other suggestions?

I use cotton tape and always overlap it a bit and it hasn't caused any problems at all. Even cotton tape can slide around a small amount so overlapping is more secure, I think....especially if the join is anywhere near a rim hole.

I use cotton tape and always overlap it a bit and it hasn't caused any problems at all. Even cotton tape can slide around a small amount so overlapping is more secure, I think....especially if the join is anywhere near a rim hole.

same here when I used cloth tape, the overlap does no harm.

Mike, how many rolls did you buy?
Do I need 3 of them to cover both wheels?

Mike, how many rolls did you buy?
Do I need 3 of them to cover both wheels?
Sergey, I reckon you need 4 of them to do 2 road wheels. 3 might be just enough, but better to be safe than sorry.

Ok got it, thanks Mike! Just ordered 4 rolls from CRC

I wonder what advice you'd get if you posted this on a gay website...
Recenty I have been having rim tape troubles leading to multiple punctures.

They should call it something else...

Mike I was in the same shop that I purchased you Chain guide from last week (Was getting one for the SL-1 but alas they had no more) and I spotted something new.

They are little tacs that push in to the spoke hole on the inside of the rim and plug the gaps thus allowing you to run with no rim tape, these might be the ultimate solution to your HED issues.

Mike I was in the same shop that I purchased you Chain guide from last week (Was getting one for the SL-1 but alas they had no more) and I spotted something new.

They are little tacs that push in to the spoke hole on the inside of the rim and plug the gaps thus allowing you to run with no rim tape, these might be the ultimate solution to your HED issues.

Thanks for thinking of me James, however with the correct width rim tape I'm now having no troubles with that part of the wheel anyway:(

I used to use electrical tape on my mavic rims, the covers were so damn tight you needed every millimeter of space you could get.

Might be a cheaper and easier alternative?

I used to use electrical tape on my mavic rims, the covers were so damn tight you needed every millimeter of space you could get.

Might be a cheaper and easier alternative?

Paul, no more electrical tape for me. It melted last time and left me stranded in the mountains after using 3 tubes. Anway, I now have the correct rim tape size and all is well:D

Cool - are they stocking all the sizes. I really wanted to use these for my Mavic Opens. I've heard they are a little more gentler on the tube - especially if you are using latex.

Back
Top Bottom