What's new

Help Rim damage

Tanki

Maximum Pace
Aug 7, 2014
DSCN4544.JPG

I had a blow out the other day on the flat gravel ,slow speed and I stopped immediately. After changing the tube and remounting the wheel I noticed it was not spinning true but no apparent problem with the disc brake. . So off with the quick release and a re-mount. Same again and the brake rotor runs true in the brake calliper. Thumb test shows the rim is buckled and a close inspection shows the same pattern of rim damage to a bit lesser extent around another 7 spokes. It is a WTB STP i23 rim on the grinder I bought from Wiggle this May.

Opinions please: Is this wheel fudged? Can I get it trued and ride on? Should I be demanding a replacement from Wiggle?

DSCN4549.JPG

Both LBSs advised new rims. Any information on dealing with Wiggle appreciated.

Not due to a flat, but some years ago I noticed something somewhat similar on a front wheel (Trek/Bonty), and they gave me new set of wheels as a warranty replacement. They'd had some other problems, I guess.

Might be worth asking about.

Both LBSs advised new rim when I took it in for truing. Sent a form and pics to Wiggle, have automated response case number. Will update on how it unfolds.

I have the i25 Rims on the Fargo....
I jump off things!!! That is not normal or expected.
I would expect that to be warranty replacement.

I have the i25 Rims on the Fargo....
I jump off things!!! That is not normal or expected.
I would expect that to be warranty replacement.
That's what I want to hear. I'll keep you posted.

WTB I25 rims are MTB rims. So you have not dished out any abuse on a gravel bike they can't handle. Those wheels may have been built badly with too much tension possibly... but if you bought them as part of a wheelset, that is not your fault.

I see you bought a new bike with these wheels attached, 100% waranty job as the wheels were over tightened in the factory. Just get the spoke tension measured here as WTB recommend *Max spoke tension range: 110-120 KgF* and I suspect the machine wound them up too much. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
I had a similar crack on a rear wheel about a two years ago. Took it to the LBS and was told I should stop riding it and replace immediately.
If you bought in May, I would expect it would be covered under some warranty.

OK. Wiggle have mailed me asking me to confirm a delivery address for a replacement with these wheels. First I will seek counsel from you all.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-peloton-disc-road-wheelset-black-91011-speed-shi/

My immediate reaction is WTF is this. I have had a look at the description, Q and As, and reviews of this wheel set on Wiggle and Chain Reaction and am not convinced.
>The internal rim width is 17mm. Wiggle advises up to a 35mm tyre. My current tyres are 37mm. (I seem to remember reading a testing review somewhere, maybe on TIC that was down on running tubeless on narrower rim widths). This wheel set is advertised as tubeless compatible and comes with tape and adapters.
>spare spokes are also a nice touch
>what's in a name 'prime-peleton-disc-road'?? Chain Reaction has an answered question that this wheel set is ok for cyclocross. However it is described as an all year road set. No allusions to 'adventure' or off the tarmac.

My feeling is I am not being offered a like-for-like replacement. The internal rim width of twenty three mm on the WTB i23 was one of the selling points for my original purchase.

Your thoughts please.

Alexrims is an OEM, and you can find their entry-level rims on a lot of bikes. My MTB has Alexrims. They are heavy, but sturdy. In any case, it looks like they are offering you a road rim to replace a MTB rim with. Given that you intent to put on wider tires than this rim can accommodate, I would decline their offer and ask Wiggle to offer you something else.

I would express my concerns to wiggle.
Personally Inner Rim width is a big consideration for me when I buy wheels.
I would not be happy with those replacements and would ask for the same wheels you have or for replacement rims and a voucher to cover the cost of having the hubs laced over to the new rims.

Alexrims is an OEM, and you can find their entry-level rims on a lot of bikes. My MTB has Alexrims. They are heavy, but sturdy. In any case, it looks like they are offering you a road rim to replace a MTB rim with. Given that you intent to put on wider tires than this rim can accommodate, I would decline their offer and ask Wiggle to offer you something else.

I would express my concerns to wiggle.
Personally Inner Rim width is a big consideration for me when I buy wheels.
I would not be happy with those replacements and would ask for the same wheels you have or for replacement rims and a voucher to cover the cost of having the hubs laced over to the new rims.

Thanks for the feedback and the support for what I was feeling, I will mail them in the morning, maybe, but first…@bloaker: How much should I be asking to cover the cost of a wheel build and where? Not sure about my LBS.

I think asking them for money is difficult. Even if you can make it work, it'll be a hassle.

How about you look for a complete set of wheels that closely resembles yours (I would choose equal or slightly better than what you have now, I wouldn't go overboard) and offer wiggle to pay for the difference between the cost for the rims they offered you and the ones that you picked?

I think asking them for money is difficult. Even if you can make it work, it'll be a hassle.

How about you look for a complete set of wheels that closely resembles yours (I would choose equal or slightly better than what you have now, I wouldn't go overboard) and offer wiggle to pay for the difference between the cost for the rims they offered you and the ones that you picked?

Not asking them for money, but a voucher/credit for goods on my wiggle account. At the moment I don't have a ballpark figure for the labour cost of threading a replacement set of rims to my current hubs.

Not asking them for money, but a voucher/credit for goods on my wiggle account. At the moment I don't have a ballpark figure for the labour cost of threading a replacement set of rims to my current hubs.
Just to give you a rough estimate, I took my Enve wheel to Nocchi at Efffect. He's one of the best wheel builders around Tokyo and he charged me 5400 yen to remove the old rim then lace up a new rim to the hub with new spikes that I provided him with.

Just to give you a rough estimate, I took my Enve wheel to Nocchi at Efffect. He's one of the best wheel builders around Tokyo and he charged me 5400 yen to remove the old rim then lace up a new rim to the hub with new spikes that I provided him with.
Cheers for that.

Back
Top Bottom