What's new

Riding on a wobbly cassette body

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hey,

Just a quick one, would riding for a few weeks on it (200+ km) result in any damage to my bike?

There is a cracking sound sometimes when I move it about, and there is enough play that it will hit the brake pads when I stomp on the pedals.

Tim was kind enough to offer up a spare while I wait for my new set, but I decided to stay out of his hair (figuratively speaking)

Cheers,
J

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's about the same play - just slack your rear brake a bit so it doesn't rub. Put it this way, nothing will break. It will just be annoying. The play in the freebody bearings is so low - but that translates into large movement at the top of the rim (which you are noticing). The bearings, themselves aren't too bad - trust me, I've seen these things bleed rust and people still riding them. Anyway - you7re welcome to snag the loaners - they are just sitting here.

Sorry but I don't agree with Tim, if you free body is loose this could result in an accident.

Chain jumping off in to spokes and locking back wheel up, Chain jamming in rear stays locking wheel up, complete failure of free body mechanism while climbing/sprinting resulting in you going over the bars and crashing.

One of my biggest concerns on group rides are people that have poor maintenance habits for their bikes.
It's not the damage it might cause the bike - but the potential damage it could do to you or others.

Depending on wheel a new free body will cost you around 2-4,000 yen depending on brand it's a 3 minute job to replace – so why risk it?

James - I personally looked at this. The end thrust cap is worn slightly is all. The lateral play in the wheel is not an issue and there isn't nearly enough slop in the bearings to cause any freebody misalignment to the point of issues you claim. Though, I sure know what you're talking about - when the freebody internal bearings are shot it can wobble enough to cause these issues - but that's not the case here.

If you back off the DA bearing thrust nuts about 1/4 turn you'll get almost exactly the same effect - so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Or similarly on Mavic, DT's , Fulcrum or any other hub that uses a threaded bearing thrust adjuster.

The funky thing on the Rovals is that the bearing thrust nut is also part of the axle support, and this just adds to the slop. So, ANY play in the assembly results in some lateral play at the rim. Coompound that with pretty soft wheels to begin with and some hard pedaling, and well, this is what you experience.

Sorry but I don't agree with Tim, if you free body is loose this could result in an accident.

Chain jumping off in to spokes and locking back wheel up, Chain jamming in rear stays locking wheel up, complete failure of free body mechanism while climbing/sprinting resulting in you going over the bars and crashing.

One of my biggest concerns on group rides are people that have poor maintenance habits for their bikes.
It's not the damage it might cause the bike - but the potential damage it could do to you or others.

Depending on wheel a new free body will cost you around 2-4,000 yen depending on brand it's a 3 minute job to replace – so why risk it?

lol,
I agree with both GS Astuto and Far East, I would probably ride it if I had too, just not on a group ride or up and down a 20k mountain. I would change it ASAP just because mechanical inefficiency bothers me. I used to bring chain lube on group rides for people with squeaky chains (it was a group ride hosted by me representing my shop though, so in a way it was product advertising as well ;)). Probably wouldn't be racing cars either. Tough call though. In the end its your skin!

lol,
I agree with both GS Astuto and Far East, I would probably ride it, just not on a group ride up or down a 20k mountain and change it ASAP. Probably wouldn't be racing cars either. Tough call though. In the end its your skin!

Agreed, I'll probably ride it as well but keep it to weekly short rides - solo.

My guess is this will take care of the 'wobbly' rear wheel...

DA7900_PIC_0364.jpg

Dura Ace hub takes care of everything!

Absolutely! So easy to build a great wheel with these hubs. The spoke tension ratio is really easy to work with. Everything about them is just great.

Dura Ace hub takes care of everything!

Back
Top Bottom