Riding around Nikko - potential routes for cycling tour

Velojim

Cruising
Nov 16, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
For my solo cycling tour in Japan in October (coming in from Vancouver for 20 days), I've been scouting out various routes with an initial idea to start in Tokyo and ride up the Arakawa to base myself in Takasaki for a couple of days and do day rides up to Lake Haruna and Lake Onuma. Looking further north, there seems to be some good riding up near Nikko such as R122 to Lake Chuzenji and R169, the Kirifuri Kogen Road. I would then try to work my way west along the Nihon Romantic Highway, R120, with a possible diversion along R63 into Minakami.

Does anyone have knowledge of these routes around the Nikko area? Also, is the Nihon Romantic Highway more hype than reality, choked with buses and cars? As it seems quite long, I'd imagine that there are probably good parts and bad parts...any recommendations to suggest here?

Here is the potential route:
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Jim

Nov 16, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Hello:
I did get to Takasaki but didn't go to Nikko. I chose instead to ride to Kusatsu Onsen and then over Mt. Shirane which were both great choices in my estimation. My plan is to ride to Nikko on another Japan bike tour next year. If you do go this weekend, please post your comments.