What's new

Ride Ride Sat 14th Feb - St.Valentines ride

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

I will be out for a ride tomorrow morning. I will be going out to the usual area of north Saitama. This is the same as last week's route but in reverse and with the gravel section skipped (and a little extra climbing added). You can either finish at Kita Sakado or continue all the way back to the Spaceship.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:00am
Meet Place: The Spaceship
Climbing: 1800-2000 m
Distance: 100km from the spaceship to Kita Sakado or about 141km return to the Spaceship
Route: Here

Last edited:
That's a very romantic-looking route. Do participants get chocolates?

I'm not yet sure what plans are afoot for tomorrow but will try to make it.

Please note. There has been a change to the start time. New meeting time is 8am

@Aron B , @Chrisisism @Andy in Tokyo let me know if this is still ok for you guys. Oh and lunch will most likely be at the same place as last week.

Alas my back is still complaining so nothing this grand for me. Have fun!

Mark (or is it strictly Leicaman here?) If you keep heading west you can catch up with me and join me for my morning Valentine's ride around southern Gifu ;-)
My wife gave me a 1kg block of Gouda cheese as a Valentine's present. I know I've been cycling a lot over winter but I'm still not sure I've ridden enough to scoff all of that.

@nishiki2013 Mark is fine, as is Leicaman or fool or numpty. I'll answer to any of those ;)
Think Gifu might be a tad too West for me tomorrow unfortunately. Gouda cheese huh. Very romantic;)

Was a great day of cycling. before I let home, I got an email from a Yorkshire wuss saying that he had overslept and wouldn't be able to make it. Four met up at 8am but we were surprised to hear that @Chrisisism had taken a fall while on his way to the spaceship. He had ridden on in pain to meet us and tell us that he wouldn't be continuing. Hope you get better soon mate. So it was down to three before we had even got started. We battled up the Arakawa into a persistent headwind then into the mountains. The weather was just about perfect. We couldn't have asked for better considering it is February. @nishiki2013 There was very little snow, unlike on your ride. The big ice and snow patches from last week had all but disappeared.

We decided to skip the pizza lunch as we got there at just gone 10:30. There are a few soba restaurants just before the last climb of the day so we thought it would be better to try one of those. We skipped the gravel section from last week but last night I added another climb which, unbeknown to me, included a gravel section (and plenty of lovely switchbacks). Nothing too bad and we all made it through in one piece. @Aron B and @saibot were great company as usual. It was apparent that there would be a very nice tailwind back down the Arakawa so we rode home. One ojisan decided to tag along uninvited and made an ass of himself by toppling over when attempting to go through one of the gates on a slight incline with 90 degree bend, gravel and a signpost that needs to be ducked under. All in all, a great day of riding.

And now for some selfies

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423923539.738006.jpg

Theft deterrent

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423923590.846468.jpg

Two ways

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423923608.421373.jpg

Some tool

Last edited:
Yeah, Good ride! Good to ride with @Aron B again.

Drawing on my experience from last weekend with the wet, snow and a pretty dirty bike, I prepared properly with ass saver and wet lube. Like mentioned above, almost all snow patches where gone or you would at least have a dry strip of tarmac pass by on, what a wasted effort. This morning when I put the bike in the stand I had trouble finding any dirt at all on the frame. Using wet lube though mandated a proper drivetrain clean. (so naturally the whole bike got cleaned) Back to dry lube!

Adding to the selfie collection

Back
Top Bottom