Ride on Sunday

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
I don't know about your ability/fitness level, or if you have ever ridden this loop before, but this is a reasonably ambitious route. One area specifically deserves special attention. The descent from Arima Toge down into Chichibu while very scenic, is a well known tire slicer! Personally, I'd reroute around it, but if you're intent on doing it, I'd recommend that you be very careful there. Have fun!

knownone

Speeding Up
Aug 4, 2011
Tokyo
jeremyscofield.ca
I am quite experienced descending (on both road bike and MTB) but it has been a while and my fitness level definitely isn't peak so if I do go for the ride I would have no issues re-routing if necessary. Thanks for the heads up!

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
I am quite experienced descending (on both road bike and MTB) but it has been a while and my fitness level definitely isn't peak so if I do go for the ride I would have no issues re-routing if necessary. Thanks for the heads up!
It's not the difficulty of the descent that you need to beware of, it's the very sharp flinty tire eating debris generously strewn everywhere that's the culprit.

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
From that valley, there are only two real options. Climb Yamabushi-toge and then descend the backside to #299 to Chichibu, or climb Yamabushi-toge, and turn right for Shomaru-toge and Karibazaka-toge to the Green Line. Both are good, enjoyable options.