What's new

Ride Ride on Saturday 9th June

Rob Marshall

Warming-Up
May 27, 2018
Hi there. I'm visiting Tokyo on business and have saturday 9th June free and would love to ride. Would need to hire a bike and know a route. Maybe 110-120km would suit. Any advice on bike hire shops and routes appreciated. If there is anyone happy to act as a guide then that would be awesome. Thanks. Rob (from UK).

Hello, no idea where you'd rent a bike suitable for that sort of ride in Tokyo, what does the internet say?

What part of (Tokyo? Japan?) will you be staying at?

If you're stuck you might want to contact these guys they might be able to point you in a direction?

https://cittec.jp/

Anyways sorry I'm probably the last person you should ask for info.

Hi Rob
Not sure what I'll be doing on the 9th June but I may be heading out for a ride, but then again it is probably in the middle of rainy season so the weather might be bad.
What kind of riding are you looking for btw? Mountains? Flatland?

Regarding rental, one of the best places for rental of bikes is probably here

https://www.gsastuto.com/rentals.html

The shop is run by Tim, an American guy who has been in Japan for a really long time. I'm sure he'll be able to rent you something. How tall are you? Might be an issue if you are quite tall.

Cheers

Mark

Hi leicaman, that's great thanks. Will contact Tim. I'm 6foot so hope there's a suitable bike for me. They also have a route on their website that looks good. Thanks again.

Hi leicaman, I'm looking to do a road ride with some hills. I'm training for a century ride in July and a 2 week trip is disrupting my training. If the weather looks good and I can get a bike then a guide would be awesome if you're free! This route looks suitable https://rwgps-embeds.com/routes/2389920

Hi Rob. If you don't mind leaving early in the morning (6am or so?), I can probably do that ride with you. Will be easier if you stay on the west side of Tokyo to for that ride and also to rent the bike from Tim. We also do some rides out west on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Tuesday one has a 5:45 start close to Tim and Thursday I think is 8am (which may or may not work for work). Check out the rides section. Still if you rent a bike from Tim for the week, there is a lot you can do early morning rather than just renting it for a day (in which case you have to wait for Tim to open shop etc and it will get hot).

Hi Wexford. Sounds like it may work for sat. I'm in central Tokyo all week but will move out west near bike shop on Friday. Have asked if I can get the bike Friday night too. Do you know any hotels out that way you can recommend?

Hi Rob. Not sure about hotels. Look for something near Noborito station or futakotamagawa station I guess. I'll be passing through both of those points so easy to meet up. Also Tim is close to noborito so that should work well.

Hi Wexford. Finding a nearby hotel was challenging. I'm staying in shibuya which should not be to hard to get to the bike shop. Next challenge working out how to get the bike at 6am.

Hi Wexford. Finding a nearby hotel was challenging. I'm staying in shibuya which should not be to hard to get to the bike shop. Next challenge working out how to get the bike at 6am.
I think they will deliver it for you. I rode with someone a few months back visiting and they had the bike dropped off at Cross Coffee. He took the train there and voila it was waiting.

Hi @Rob Marshall - yeah ask Tim @ GS Astuto to get the bike to you on Friday evening at your hotel. Might have to pay a bit extra for that service but it will save you a lot of hassle and time so I would say that its worth it. Another thing you could do is pick it up on Friday and cycle back to your hotel. You might need lights for this though.

Note. I can only really do this ride early as I need to be home around lunch or before. If possible, can we leave Noborito area around 6:15? Another suggestion for the route is to do it backwards as the descent down from Mt Jimba (Wada east) is rather steep and curvy and is likely to have more folks climbing and hiking than the other side. Also better to hit the harder climb first I think. I can put up a route later but basically similar to the one you suggested in both distance and climbing as it covers the same area.

Hi @Rob Marshall - yeah ask Tim @ GS Astuto to get the bike to you on Friday evening at your hotel. Might have to pay a bit extra for that service but it will save you a lot of hassle and time so I would say that its worth it. Another thing you could do is pick it up on Friday and cycle back to your hotel. You might need lights for this though.

Note. I can only really do this ride early as I need to be home around lunch or before. If possible, can we leave Noborito area around 6:15? Another suggestion for the route is to do it backwards as the descent down from Mt Jimba (Wada east) is rather steep and curvy and is likely to have more folks climbing and hiking than the other side. Also better to hit the harder climb first I think. I can put up a route later but basically similar to the one you suggested in both distance and climbing as it covers the same area.

If you guys leave at 6:15 I can join for a few hours then turn around.

Agree worth the hassle free ness if you have Tim deliver the bike.
I am not sure if he delivers it anywhere you want. If I remember correctly, only certain drop off points.
Cross coffee is one. And easy to get to and could be the 6:15 am meeting point.

I've just reserved the bike and asked for a 6am pick up at cross coffee. Happy with any route. Will confirm 6am pick up if it all gets sorted. Thanks for the help!

Ok. We can meet at Cross Coffee to keep things simple. I presume you have your own pedals and shoes or sorted that bit out with GS Astuto. Not sure how that works. Also just so you know what is on the plate... Wada east is a pretty hard climb averaging 9% over 3km and up to 14% or so in places. The climb over Takao on the way back is more gradual with a good surface but a busier road. Weather looks cloudy right now.

Ok. We can meet at Cross Coffee to keep things simple. I presume you have your own pedals and shoes or sorted that bit out with GS Astuto. Not sure how that works. Also just so you know what is on the plate... Wada east is a pretty hard climb averaging 9% over 3km and up to 14% or so in places. The climb over Takao on the way back is more gradual with a good surface but a busier road. Weather looks cloudy right now.
I do have my own pedals, and shorts and jersey and even shoes and socks... haha I know it's meant for Rob. I will meet you two there and ride and turn around when it gets steep. :)

Yep got my shoes and kit etc. Just need to confirm bike pick up all sorted. Thanks for the heads up on the climb sounds ok.....I think. Happy to go whatever route you guys reccomend.

Meeting Date: Saturday June 9th
Meeting Time: 06:10 (Ready to roll at 6:15)
Meeting Point: Cross Coffee close to Yanokuchi station
Meeting Point Map: https://goo.gl/maps/DHg7BwDoUUD2
Ride Details: Around 95km back to meeting point, up river towards Takao and over Wada East, down Wada West, back over Takao via route 20 and then back to the river home. May work this into a 3 sisters ride by taking a rindo between Wada and Takao but will wait and see how things go.
Route: Will post a route later.

Meeting Date: Saturday June 9th
Meeting Time: 06:10 (Ready to roll at 6:15)
Meeting Point: Cross Coffee close to Yanokuchi station
Meeting Point Map: https://goo.gl/maps/DHg7BwDoUUD2
Ride Details: Around 100km back to meeting point, up river towards Takao and over Wada East, down Wada West, back over Takao via route 20 and then back to the river home. We take a wee hill on the way out also just to say hello to the legs.
Route:

Spare tube etc should be provided. Still trying to get hold of gs Astuto to confirm all details. Will phone tomorrow. Hope my pace is ok on the ride. I usually ride around 27k ave with some hills. Maybe not quite as big/long hills though looking at the strava segments!

Back
Top Bottom