What's new

Ride Ride on either Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Sorry for the late post. Ride will be going ahead tomorrow (Sunday 21st October)

The route is basically the same as Aron's route today but missing out Shiraishi.

See here for the route

Meeting at the Spaceship at 7:30am.Climbs will be WATT within reason (10 mins or so). Certainly not a blistering pace but keeping a reasonable pace. Please have the route in your garmin or have a smartphone with a map so you don't get lost, just in case you get split up from the group.

Finishing at Hanno station but I will most probably be riding home if anyone would like to join me.

Last edited:
Saturday seems dry while Sunday does not. @Chikako and I are looking forward to it.

I was thinking of Nenogongentenryu-ji from the other (south) side, I've never done that. It may be very steep towards the end. This part, it seems @Sibreen has been there just last weekyear.

Saturday seems dry while Sunday does not. @Chikako and I are looking forward to it.

I was thinking of Nenogongentenryu-ji from the other (south) side, I've never done that. It may be very steep towards the end. This part, it seems @Sibreen has been there just last weekyear.

We did this from the northern side last week. The last section is VERY steep. Be prepared!

There's a section of about 100-200m at the end of that segment that is very steep.
The road surface is always clean, but it's that funny ridged concrete that isn't particularly conducive to smooth cycling, and that gets slippery in the wet.

Good climb.

Hi,
Sounds interesting. Quick questions:
- what time do you plan to go, and roughly how long time total ? (to see if I can join)
- do you start from central Tokyo or take a train then start somewhere ? (I'm based in Tama center)
- how fast do you ride (speed on flat, typical VAM or FTP) ? (I'm out of shape and haven't got clip shoes. So probably about 30km/h or 180W FTP)
Thanks
Henrik

I'm leaning more towards riding Sunday actually. The weather seems to be looking better for Sunday now than it did yesterday and I have a few things I need to do on Saturday. If the weather does change again so that it looks like Sunday will be a washout, I will probably ride Sat, but of not then it looks like Sunday for me.

Met Agency is currently predicting slight chance (10-20%) on Sunday and none on Saturday.

Edit: My mistake, it's about 10-20% Saturday and 30% Sunday.

Last edited:
I think I will go for the Sunday option - Weather Channel is reporting clear Sunday and some sun/cloud, vs. slight chance of rain Saturday.

Hi,
Sounds interesting. Quick questions:
- what time do you plan to go, and roughly how long time total ? (to see if I can join)
- do you start from central Tokyo or take a train then start somewhere ? (I'm based in Tama center)
- how fast do you ride (speed on flat, typical VAM or FTP) ? (I'm out of shape and haven't got clip shoes. So probably about 30km/h or 180W FTP)
Thanks
Henrik

- Normally the route and meeting time is posted more in advance, but I live in Setagaya and usually get back by 4/5 pm
- Start of these rides is typically next to the Arakawa, as shown in the Saturday ride route. Most everyone rides to this start point. On other days on other routes everyone will ride the train to the start point.
- 30 km/hr on the flat is fast enough. Many people post records of their rides to Strava, so you could join the TCC group on Strava and see what kinds of speeds/distances/times there were on previous group rides.

On Saturday night I got an email regarding Aron's crash. Knowing that this route follows his, I was hoping no one from our group would suffer the same fate. Despite the number of buffoons I was riding with, I can gladly say, we all came away with nothing more than a snapped spoke.
We met at the spaceship and headed down the river to pick up a couple more reprobates. @Mlac Peek suggested a little deviation to the route so we rode over morayama (or something like that). It was a nice little change to our usual route to Tokigawa.

We climbed over the first climb and rode along the greenline for a little while before descending to the base of the shomaru climb. At the bottom of the climb, @Mlac Peek noticed his wheel was wobbly. One broken spoke later and it was game over for him. He said goodbye then we continued up to the yakiniku place on Shomaru Toge. Having lost @mwharam on the initial climb, we met up with him at the restaurant. We then stuck together for some really great scenic riding back towards Hanno. Martin skipped the last climb as he had almost died on the second to last climb. I don't know the name of the climb but it was a heck of a lot of fun. I would say that it must be the steepest section I've ever climbed. Martin pushed up the really steep part which would normally be inexcusable but looking at this beast, it was a pretty good idea. Tobias rode it but wussed out and took the outside line (those damn Swedes..... It must be the Norwegians that gave Scandinavians their hard man image ;) )

Dropping back down towards Hanno ,Tobias was feeling good so he decided to ride back with me. It was like having the old Tobias back as he was absolutely flying.

Anyway , here are the selfies

This is a video selfie.

And another video selfie for good measure

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411389596.447611.jpg
The sun asked me to do a selfie of it. Who am I to say no to such a request?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411389644.536638.jpg

Let's play spot Martin. He was a little shy so he didn't want to get too close to the camera for his selfie.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411389701.765536.jpg

Tobias on his way up one of the many beautiful climbs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411389761.295984.jpg

Answers on a postcard.

Last edited:
It must be the Norwegians that gave Scandinavians their hard man image ;)

Wasn't it the Finns, who invented sisu and who gave us this bread commercial:

(Father: "Well, are you hungry or not?"
KOVAA KUIN ELÄMÄ (HARD AS LIFE))

Back
Top Bottom