What's new

Review Reskin anti-friction patch [NSFW]

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I've tagged this not safe for work (NSFW) because it involves references to less-reputable parts of the human body that come into close contact with a bicycle saddle. If you would rather not read about this or discuss it, please click away now.

Still here?

Don't say I didn't warn you. First, here's the product.

bike-patch.png
This is a Reskin bike patch. A conforming, hygienic adhesive dressing and protector.

It's designed to stick on the perineum (to save you scrabbling for a dictionary, that's the barse = taint = gooch). The tab pointing upwards in this photo would engage the trailing end of a gentleman's scrotum, while the lateral tabs spread out to the tops of the thighs on either side. For ladies or anyone else not burdened by a scrotum, this tab can be removed with scissors. The back of the patch does not obscure the exhaust pipe.

Comme ça:
bike-instruction.png

Saddle rash is real. Even a mild case can totally ruin a day in the saddle. Some folks are blessed with leathery hides in all the right places. Usually I don't have a problem. But sometimes a really long ride, or sitting too long in soggy shirts, or other factors can sensitize the skin where I don't want it sensitizing.

I got a pack of 5 patches on a whim about 10 years ago. I need them only occasionally; perhaps four or five times a year. I recently bought another pack. When I need them, they are really comforting to have as they can mean the difference between riding or not riding.

They're re-useable; after a ride the patch can be washed, dried, put away and used again. I stick it to the shower wall, wash with soap and water, dry off with a towel, then stick it onto a suitable piece of plastic like a Ziplock bag.

The adhesive is strong enough to conform well to the skin and stay on all day, but weak enough to be pulled off without taking hair out by the roots (Aieeeee!)

The patch is perforated, so moisture doesn't build up underneath and worsen the original problem.

It's not a solution to a real saddle sore; that requires rest and/or treatment. But it helps prevent a rash or pimples from getting worse and possibly infected by reducing friction in the area.

I find Reskin to be a useful weapon in my arsenal of cycling equipment, and wanted to share in case anyone has similar problems.

Pack of 5 Reskin Bike patches from Amazon Japan is ¥6000 - this might seem expensive, but as I said they're reusable. What price comfort?

Reskin also makes nipple, heel and inner-thigh dressings for runners, and cut-to-shape sheets for general use. Anywhere where too much rubbing or chafing can be a problem, I guess this can help.

No more...
CYP212.knowdps.sadl1_prev-700-80.jpg

Like this review, or I will post actual photographs.

Last edited:
Instead of the shower wall, do they go thru the washer okay?

Genuine question; how is this any different to just putting a strip of テーピング on your barse?
The material is very different to medical support tape. It's like Lycra on top, with a silicone gel base. Soothing. The perforations mean it moves with you, whereas I imagine tape could bunch up depending on how much abuse it's given and how stretchy it is to start with. Tape might be fine in some circumstances.

I was given a free sample about six years ago at a cycle event. Still have it unused in a cupboard. Never seen one since and thought they must have flopped. Will keep it incase I get my first saddle sore.

^ Have heard of prominent cyclists having 3-4 months off the bike due to saddle sores, effectively ending their season.
Becomes more of a problem, and is most prevalent, for those clocking up 800ks+ training/racing per week.
Has a lot to do with bacteria.
Once it starts, it's very difficult to get rid of.
Have been borderline on a few occasions (long ago), but luckily pulled through it and never had to have the long break to cure it during a season.

Back
Top Bottom