What's new

Replace cables

timdougherty

Warming-Up
Nov 24, 2009
I have a 2009 model Trek FX 7.5 and I would like to find a shop where I can take it to have the cables replaced. I have the new cables, all I need is a shop where they can do the labor. I don't think it's a that challenging of a task, I just don't think I want to try myself. I live in the Akasaka/Roppongi area, but one shop I found near Roppongi Hills wanted to charge me at least 25,000 yen. I'd like to find a place that's a bit more economical. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Tim

Y's International in Akasaka. Although if you are replacing all the cables they will also charge you for new bar tape if they have to remove.

My shop does it for free...(for me).

taigamechanic.jpg

I have my personal mechanic do it and he only requires cookies and milk for a job well done.

I have a 2009 model Trek FX 7.5 and I would like to find a shop where I can take it to have the cables replaced. I have the new cables, all I need is a shop where they can do the labor. I don't think it's a that challenging of a task, I just don't think I want to try myself. I live in the Akasaka/Roppongi area, but one shop I found near Roppongi Hills wanted to charge me at least 25,000 yen. I'd like to find a place that's a bit more economical. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Tim

Being adjustment of break cable is essential task you have to do yourself, you should do at least the replacement of break cable yourself. And replacement of shifting cable is also easy but needs bit of adjustment of front derailer position sometimes. Anyway, as most cyclists do it themselves, ask your friends or someone near by. Enjoy! :)

Oh yes..... although he insisted that I try out different heights before he cut it as he wanted to make sure that it was the perfect height for me!

Outrageous! Are you sure you weren't told 2,500 yen?

Yeah, 25000 sounds like a miscommunication somewhere along the line(?)

As others have said, doing your own cables is probably something worth learning, and only requires a decent pair of cutters.

Also, are you changing just the cables, or cables + housing?
If the former, it's a very simple job indeed, because then you don't even need to cut housing or rewrap bars...

Yeah, 25000 sounds like a miscommunication somewhere along the line(?)

As others have said, doing your own cables is probably something worth learning, and only requires a decent pair of cutters.

Also, are you changing just the cables, or cables + housing?
If the former, it's a very simple job indeed, because then you don't even need to cut housing or rewrap bars...

My wife came with me and the dude said NI MAN GO SEN. Outrageous is right. And I am replacing the housing and the cables. Oops, I mentioned that my wife came with me because she's Japanese so there wasn't any language problem.

Y's International in Akasaka. Although if you are replacing all the cables they will also charge you for new bar tape if they have to remove.

I don't actually have any bar tape on my bike. But if I did, I wouldn't think changing bar tape would be that big of an expense. I know how to adjust breaks, but that's one of the reasons why I am changing the cables. Even after trying to adjust the rear break, it sticks and I just can't get it working right.

Which store did you take it to? Was it the TREK concept store? I would be interested to know so as to avoid the place.

As for the break sticking, I take it you are you using V-Brakes.... Is the stick accuring at the lever or the V-Breaks?

1st off check along the housing to see if it has been crushed or pinched along the entire length. If this is not the case.

Discount the cabling as if you were taking the rear wheel off and then see if both sides of the v-breaks spring outwards if you push them flat to the rim. Also make sure that they are not coming into contact with the tyre wall.

Reasemble the breaking unit and take a look ever side of the rim are the break pads equal distance from your rim? If one side is off there is a small grub screw that will add or remove tension adjust both sides so they are equal distances apart. Test breaks to see if they are sticking.

Check the internals of the levers, has the cable become twisted or has the wedge jumped out of the holding bracket? Is there debri or other matter inside the break lever unit?

My wife came with me and the dude said NI MAN GO SEN. Outrageous is right. And I am replacing the housing and the cables. Oops, I mentioned that my wife came with me because she's Japanese so there wasn't any language problem.

Both breaks front and rear are simply fixed by one screw thread of each, and you can easily adjust its balance.
By the way please let me know the name and location of the shop you mentioned for further processes of my own. :D

Good grief. What is he replacing them with? Spun gold? Dew-speckled spiderwebs?

Try O.D. Box Annex in Okachimachi. Just had them fit a headset, which is a much more complicated job, for less than a tenth of that price.

25000 yen is usually the price for overhaul, where they replace and clean everything replacable - i guess that's what the dude in the shop meant.... or wanted to do :)

Insist on a full set of Nokons at that price. Sheesh, even Oz bike shops are cheaper than that! :eek:

Ni Man Go Sen......like, my bike cost that.

But I have been in places (marachari type shops, not real bike shops) that on being asked for a guesstimate on fixing hub bearings, have basically said, buy another bike.

These are clearly the guys who are responsible for the piles of serviceable bikes abandoned in supermarket carparks.

It has become my mission to haunt these piles in search of usable parts and accessories. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom