What's new

Repairing Canyon hydraulic disc brakes

bumblebecs

Warming-Up
Oct 4, 2018
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I had a search and didn't find anything -

I transported my Canyon here from Australia as oversized luggage.
After landing and re-assembling it, the wheels seem to rub on the brakes which each rotation.

I rode over to Nalsima friend and was told they don't service Canyon- then I tried Bike Olympic and they couldn't service hydraulic brakes.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I could get my bike looked at and repaired?
I am near Yotsuya station if that helps.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Not sure if it is still the case but Ys road wouldn't touch my canyon when I had it. Best mechanic who will definitely sort it out is Nocchi at Efffect near daitabashi station, Setagaya Ku. here (35.6726420, 139.6610205). Great guy and great mechanic.

Why wouldn't they? Is some prejudice towards Canyon as a bike manufacturer? Or is it because the bike has not been bought at the shop? (I also heard of some shops that are selling bikes from only manufacturer (e. g. a Trek shop in Fukuoka) that would only want to work on Trek bikes and even chastise people who went with them on group rides if they weren't "on brand".)

@OreoCookie - My experience has been awkward at times in some shops. I had an authorized Fox dealer refuse to work on my fork because I did not buy it from him. It was an older fork I had bought in the states prior to moving to Japan. He didn't care, not his fork, he won't work on it.
I have been to two others that have reassured me they would love to work on my stuff regardless of where I bought it.
I have heard of some shops like you stated, will only work on bike brands they sell. Which is dumb! If you can work on Shimano brakes, who cares what they are bolted to. Do the work, make the money.

Luckily I have a shop now I trust for MTB work. He doesn't care where I bought it, just as long as it is clean when I hand it to him to work on. It also helps he is a rider and enjoys seeing custom builds and boutique brand frames.

This most likely is a 10 minute fix at most.
If your caliper got knocked out of whack, it takes moments to correct it.
If your disc was knocked out of whack - a few more moments.
Maybe even remove and reseat the wheels might solve the issue. If they are not seated properly, you will get a lot of rub.

It is a shame that this isn't something a shop would do for just a few bucks.

I wonder if that's due to a licensing agreement of some sort.
I don't think so. A trek dealer in Yokosuka is willing to work on anything. Trek has a tendency to be one of the most annoying for "rules" that dealers must follow.
I think it is an "self appointed exclusivity" thing.

@OreoCookieI had an authorized Fox dealer refuse to work on my fork because I did not buy it from him. It was an older fork I had bought in the states prior to moving to Japan.
I have heard versions of this story so many times, and it is something I really don't get: repairs and upgrades are a big way for independent shops to make money, and while I don't own a bike shop, fixing a bike that a customer couldn't have bought at your shop seems like a way to gain a loyal customer.

In Germany I have only heard that shops get miffed if someone buys from a direct-to-customer brand and then screws up (e. g. during assembly), only to come to them to have it fixed. That I do understand, but nevertheless, most shops will still take your money.
I wonder if that's due to a licensing agreement of some sort.
Even if that were the case, that would only explain a few of the antics I have heard of during my time in Japan. Recently, a bike shop owner told me a customer and riding buddy of his got made fun of by an employee in another bike shop because he wore Rapha clothing instead of whatever brands the shop sold. It doesn't matter what you think of Rapha (personally not my style), but you should know that this is a person who spends money on bikes and equipment. Treat them accordingly. (I'd also say that you shouldn't make fun of people's outfits for whatever reason, we all look somewhat ridiculous in Lycra. :p)

Thought I would give an update for anyone else who comes across the same issue:

I ended up taking my bike to Crown Gears.
They had a look, did some adjustments, and it's no longer making noises!

The mechanic who helped me was super nice!
He did mention that it will be time to change the wheels if it happens again but that it's ok to keep riding for now :)

Would recommend checking them out for Canyon servicing:
3 Chome-12-15 Sendagaya, Shibuya City, Tokyo 151-0051
https://www.crowngears.com/

I am glad you had good luck. I only know of two shops that have a perceived poor reputations and that is one of them.

Crown gears responded to all my queries online even on weekends and very very promptly. That is my only, limited but extremely pleasant, experience with them

Some bike shops in Japan don't like Canyon in particular because they operate on a direct sales model, cutting bike shops out of sales. I've got an alu Ultimate, so been there myself.

Good to hear it's fixed. A common problem with hydro brakes during transport is touching the brake lever with no disc in the caliper. In that case, the caliper can seize closed. If it happens, you have to force the caliper open with a screwdriver or the like, and it should right itself next time you pull on the lever with the wheel in. It's happened to me a few times putting a mtb in a car with the wheel off.

Back
Top Bottom