What's new

Tech Repaint or not?

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
I have an old 1989-ish Panasonic chrome-molly frame bike. I've been using it as my indoor trainer mostly. Result is that I'm getting rust around brazed areas and joints due to sweat. I've kept the bike in otherwise good condition. Has sentimental value. Lots of new parts but have kept all original parts. I'm thinking of getting it repainted professionally. I'd like to keep original paint scheme and decals.

Questions:
1) Would a repaint reduce it's potential value as a vintage bike should I ever decide to rebuild it with its original parts? (I really don't intend to sell it but am interested in keeping it as close to original as possible.)
2) Is it possible for paint shop to save original decals?
3) I live near Kodomo-no-kuni. Any good paint shops anyone could recommend?

Sorry, don't really have any answers to your questions but I would quite like to see some photos of it.

No Idea about no 1.
2) I can't see how a painter could save the decals. They would need to paint under them, But sticker making isn't a big deal these days. In fact most paint shops would inlay a new set into the paintwork if you were redoing it. All they would need is the artwork (PSD) for the original stickers.
3) You can try this guy, he did all my custom helmets and fairings when i was racing motorbikes. Very good work at a good price.

http://www.ps-factory.com

Sorry, don't really have any answers to your questions but I would quite like to see some photos of it.

It is the bike in my profile pic. Although I've modified it now so it has flat bars.

No Idea about no 1.
2) I can't see how a painter could save the decals. They would need to paint under them, But sticker making isn't a big deal these days. In fact most paint shops would inlay a new set into the paintwork if you were redoing it. All they would need is the artwork (PSD) for the original stickers.
3) You can try this guy, he did all my custom helmets and fairings when i was racing motorbikes. Very good work at a good price.

http://www.ps-factory.com

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'll have to get smart on the value of these old bikes and see if it is worth the bother of trying to keep the original paint and parts. The rust worries me so I'm gonna have to do something.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get it restored by Panasonic? I have no idea if they offer this service but it is certainly worth a call to find out.

Here's what the FAQ on the Panasonic website says

POS-フレームを再塗装してもらえますか?
ご購入店様よりお申し込みください。

ご注意

• 工場でお預かりしフレーム体の品質状態によりお断りする場合があります。
  • 塗装ラインアップは現行のPOSカタログに掲載のパターンのみでございます(過去製品のデカール等はございません。
Can you re-paint the POS frame?
Please apply from your purchase store.
please note
We may refuse it depending on the quality condition of the frame body after taking it in the factory. Painting line up is only the pattern posted in the current POS catalog (There is no decal etc. of past products.)

So probably not much joy there.

:warau:And they refer to their own bikes as POS! That's unfortunate!

POS-フレームを再塗装してもらえますか?
ご購入店様よりお申し込みください。

ご注意

please note
We may refuse it depending on the quality condition of the frame body after taking it in the factory. Painting line up is only the pattern posted in the current POS catalog (There is no decal etc. of past products.)

POS-フレームを再塗装してもらえますか?
ご購入店様よりお申し込みください。

ご注意

please note

Thanks for that.

"POS"... not exactly the best abbreviation to refer to ones own product. Oh well.

Did a bit of searching online as well. The model is 1988 pc700x. Made to order, paint job chosen by me. Mid-level bike. CrMo frame. Looking at vintage bike sites, it doesn't look like mid-level bikes have any value. Also, FWIW, if it does have value, a repaint, no matter how good, lowers the value significantly.

Given that, I think I'll end up getting it repainted with a new scheme I like and just keep it. Might even put couplers on it and make it my travel bike.

Back
Top Bottom