What's new

Removed

That looks fine, plenty of climbing so remember to save something in your tank for the second and third peaks. Oh and what the hell is 1975 ft in real measurement?;)

I live in Hanno, and I can tell you that that's a very nice ride.

Breakdown of the route:
The route is very easy to follow, you can eat and drink at the top of the first climb, and there are numerous vending machines along the main roads and route 350.

The road from the station to the 350 junction is not great (poor road surface and lots of cars), but the 350 itself is nice and has recently been resurfaced.
You may find the first two climbs difficult. The top of the first climb is particularly brutal and, given what you've said about your lack of climbing/riding, I imagine that you'll have to walk some of it. On the other hand, there will likely be zero cars, so you can take your time.
The third climb is up and down and very enjoyable, but expect some debris - stones and branches and sandy-dirt-type-stuff. I've never punctured along there, but I never ride it without a spare tube.

If this is your first time in Hanno, it seems a shame to go back along the same route.
Have you thought of skipping the third climb and, instead, looping round Arima Dam? You can then follow route 53 south and turn right at 53/70 junction or the 70/221 junction. These back roads are very pleasant.

There are many good routes in the area you picked. Almost every time that I've headed to the area via Oume station I met some TCC member(s) getting ready for a ride there.

I rode in the area on July 20, see here. If you compare, I rode most of your loop after the road from Hanno, based on a route proposed by TCC member @Deej known as the Oume Temple Loop.

The estimate on Garmin is 2 1/2 hours. Even if it took you 3 hours, that's not that long. Just make sure you have enough water before you head up mountain roads and a bit of food can be helpful if you run out of energy and of course a spare tube or two and some tools.

If you like it, you may want to try other parts of Deej's route some time.

Do you have a smart phone for online maps?

Yeah, nice route.
One more thing - I'd be taking route 28 back to the station rather than turning right onto the 195 as the roads are less crowded.

What's your Strava name?
(mine is sibreen)

Unfortunately, I could not go around the lake due to a massive rock slide blocking the road.
Sorry. We don't accept excuses. We'll just have to get ourselves a new Robert.

@Sibreen it was exactly as you said, including the short walk (my pride was hurt :oops:) of 150 meters when I could not push my 39/26 up this 27% pitch! I was about to puke my heart out o_O

This area is absolutely beautiful! You are blessed by the bike gods to live in Hanno. :)

I managed to get a 10th place on the nenogongentenryu-ji clinmb Strava segment and saw you in the KOM position. I guess this is my target now, I must fine tune my climbing form and go back to Hanno soon to measure up to Si Breen :D

Unfortunately, I could not go around the lake due to a massive rock slide blocking the road.

Thanks again for the tips! :)

Cheers!
Congrats on the ride!

I use 34-28 (i think that's fairly typical of TCCers).
Check out my profile for more routes from/to Hanno Station: there's plenty of them.
Most of them will be similar in length and elevation gained to the one you just did.

And, perhaps sign up to the TCC strava club?

They've not fixed the landslide yet then....

Three weeks ago:

He's not crazy, he was given the choice of either working on that land slide or helping out Tepco ;)

@Robert, I did almost the exactly the same route as you a few months ago. Caught the 7am train up to Hanno from Ikebukuro (along with what felt like every damned hiker in Tokyo - must get a different train next time!) and also just about killed myself on that nenogongentenryu-ji climb. The view from the top was worth it though!

It's a fantastic area for cycling. Hopefully I can fit in at least one more trip out there before winter kicks in.

@Andy in Tokyo I agree, the view from the top was worth the effort and I too would like to go back and give another shot at this climb. Let me know if and when you go and hopefully I can join you :)
View attachment 417
If there's room for one more, let me know as well when you come out next :)
Nenongongen is also a nice challenge from the other side - and you can tack on Takedera if you're still feeling strong!

If there's room for one more, let me know as well when you come out next :)
Nenongongen is also a nice challenge from the other side - and you can tack on Takedera if you're still feeling strong!
That sounds good to me! I can do either Sun 20th or Sun 27th if you chaps are interested.

Sun 20th may be ok, but won't know til about 10pm on Sat evening.
Sun 27th is prob ok.

I can often do evenings/nights.

Sunday 20th or 27th might be ok for me as well. But it depends on the distance you guys want to ride. Anything beyond 80k with challenging climbs would probably be a bit too much for the shape I'm in. :eek:

I was thinking sth similar in length to your last route, but I'm open to it being a little longer.
Did you guys want to try the same course again (with a slightly different route back)? Or maybe Nenogongen in the opposite direction?

Was also thinking about a 9.30am start time to avoid the worst of the early morning chill. Route would prob take about 3hrs including rest stops, perhaps finishing with lunch at Gusto before taking train home.

I was thinking sth similar in length to your last route, but I'm open to it being a little longer.
Did you guys want to try the same course again (with a slightly different route back)? Or maybe Nenogongen in the opposite direction?

Was also thinking about a 9.30am start time to avoid the worst of the early morning chill. Route would prob take about 3hrs including rest stops, perhaps finishing with lunch at Gusto before taking train home.

Doing it in the opposite direction might make it more interesting, but I'm easy. A 9.30 start sounds good to me, as well. I'm no mountain goat so a 3 hr ride will be fine. Will remember not to get the train that brings all the hikers to Chichibu this time!

As for the day, how about 27th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Doing it in the opposite direction might make it more interesting, but I'm easy. A 9.30 start sounds good to me, as well. I'm no mountain goat so a 3 hr ride will be fine. Will remember not to get the train that brings all the hikers to Chichibu this time!

As for the day, how about 27th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Groovy, ill try and post a potential route tomo.

Cheers for picking out a route. Looks great to me. Good job we didn't decide to do it today: we'd have needed canoes!

Back
Top Bottom