What's new

Reframing pain article

There was an interesting article I read where some athletes are using intense, self-inflicted pain to increase their HR and adrenaline prior to the start of a race. I'm designing a new kit that will have special cilice leg warmers and be woven of goatskin and coarse hair. That ought to get the party started.

There was an interesting article I read where some athletes are using intense, self-inflicted pain to increase their HR and adrenaline prior to the start of a race. I'm designing a new kit that will have special cilice leg warmers and be woven of goatskin and coarse hair. That ought to get the party started.

So you would wear this before riding? Or on a trainer pre-race warm-up?

I thought that in light of your previous thread and the common theme of people's brain getting in the way of pain management; this is a good quick read and little shot in the arm before the spring comes.

Tim I think the article was on Para Olympians with disabilities related to the spine and whom couldn't reach the same level of exersion as others. They would go to the extremes of breaking toes durring training sessions and before big events.

Tim I think the article was on Para Olympians with disabilities related to the spine and whom couldn't reach the same level of exersion as others. They would go to the extremes of breaking toes durring training sessions and before big events.

Yikes!

Yeah pretty hardcore -

Would you break your own toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

Full read here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19325756

Yes! That was one of the references. There are quite a few articles / studies on this. And including the somewhat addictiveness of joining 'Fight Clubs', to boot [sic]. I can see the starting line now .. 'Excuse me Sir, may I have another?'

Yeah pretty hardcore -

Would you break your own toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

Full read here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19325756

Back
Top Bottom