What's new

Recipe for performance

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
Greetings,

I wanted to start a thread pertaining to any recipie or food subject you may be eating this year to:

Maintain Health

Loose Weight

Prepare for rides

Prepare for Races

Replenish after Rides

Cycle Camping

Or any thing related to eating a healthy diet finding foods from and in JAPAN.

Recipies, Ideas, Staple Foods

Ideas!

All are welcome!

Apple Sweet Potatoe Waffles

This is a pre long ride meal to fuel the body for a long day
Why sweet potatoe?
Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink, yellow and green varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.

In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fibre content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato
Also
Raw Sweet Potato Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 360 kJ (86 kcal)
Carbohydrates 20.1 g
Starch 12.7 g
Sugars 4.2 g
Dietary fibre 3.0 g
Fat 0.1 g
Protein 1.6 g
Vitamin A equiv. 709 μg (79%)
- beta-carotene 8509 μg (79%)
- lutein and zeaxanthin 0 μg
Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.1 mg (8%)
Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.1 mg (7%)
Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.61 mg (4%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.8 mg (16%)
Vitamin B6 0.2 mg (15%)
Folate (Vit. B9) 11 μg (3%)
Vitamin C 2.4 mg (4%)
Calcium 30.0 mg (3%)
Iron 0.6 mg (5%)
Magnesium 25.0 mg (7%)
Phosphorus 47.0 mg (7%)
Potassium 337 mg (7%)
Sodium 55 mg (2%)
Zinc 0.3 mg (3%)
Another link praising the sweet potatoe
http://www.anxiety-and-depression-s...ve_medicine/diet/sweet_potatoes_superfood.php

Apple Sweet Potatoe Waffles
Ingredients

Dry:
2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
¾ t salt
½ t cinnamon

Wet:
2 eggs, beaten
1 T vegetable oil
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
water (as needed)

Other
1 cup diced apple, diced
1 lb sweet potato, cubed (or 1 15oz can yams)
cooking spray

Directions

Cut the sweet potato into inch and a half pieces. Place in a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook until very soft, about twenty minutes. Remove skin and mash well.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir well, then add the diced apple and mashed sweet potato, stirring well to combine. Slowly add water as needed to thin the batter.
Heat a waffle iron and lightly spray with cooking spray before

I love sweet potatoes! Wish I had packed a few of these on the ride yesterday cause I was totally running out of gas around 100k. And the liquid stuff (realgold, cokes, pocari, whatever) just upset my stomach. Bananna and potatoes!

Here is my favorite 'go to' link for energy food management -

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Note that white rice is near the top of the list. This is what you eat BEFORE or DURING a ride! Never eat this at night if you wanna lose any weight! I'm really interested how I can get some of these puppies, though -- perfect pocket stuffers for cold training rides. Microwave and put in back pocket.

http://www.lutosa.com/files/telechargements/brochures/leaf-ready-cooked-eng-2-.pdf

By the way - the Idaho Russet is one of the most used in Japan (and globally) for frozen frenchfries. Aside from the oil content - these bad boys are nearly as good as onigiri for hi carb ingestion. MacDonalds uses this exact potato as well. So - MickyD's is definitely 'cylicst friendly' in my book, anyway. Potatos , Apple Pie and cheap coffee!

KISS = porridge with raisins

Protein, Fiber, Carbs

Pre-ride, make with milk and a spot of honey

Post ride make with water and pinch of salt.

Also cut back on rice, bread, pasta. If you are hungry eat unsalted nuts

Another point is not what you make but how you make it.

Last night I cooked up a meat sauce using apparentl lean beef. I fried it without adding oil and then strained it over a pan of cold water. The fat solidified on hitting the water and out of 1kg of beef 230g was pure lard, gross.

I've also started cooking all meat on the skillet or grilling over water. The amount of fat you remove from the final dish is amazing.

Also I have a HUGE increase in green vegetables, raw cabbage and steamed spinach get wolfed down on a huge scale.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE.

I religously drink 500ml of water as soon as I wake up and I find it a better kick start then even the strongest cup of coffee in a morning.

lentil soup

yum in the winter:

• 165-170g lentils (=500g bag split into three).
• 8 cups water (use the smaller japanese cups, e.g., for measuring rice).
• rinse and bring to a boil, spoon off any "awa" (foam) as it begins to boil.
• chop & add a few cloves of garlic, half an onion, a carrot, also a bit of celery if you have it.
• optionally add small amounts of other leftover veggies, e.g., shiitake/shrooms, a small eggplant, string beans, etc.
• seasonings:
--a couple bay leaves (or equal powdered form)
--black pepper to taste
--some 'ichimi' to taste (a few shakes, or more)
--1/4 tsp or so of thyme
--2 tsp salt
--1 or 2 tsp sugar
• simmer for about 45 minutes, then...
• puree/cream it all with an immersion blender (optional, and remove the bay leaves before this, if you used whole ones)
• add about 400g of meat, either chicken thighs (skinned) or pork, cut up. (A reasonable pork choice is the stuff that looks like bacon, but that has not been cured.)
• add a can of chopped tomatoes.
• return to boil, simmer another ~30 minutes till the meat is soft.
• optional but recommended: a binder, so either...
--(a) in a separate small pan, melt a generous tablespoon or two of butter, add a teaspoon or so of flour, cook a few minutes, then stir into the soup, cook ~10 minutes more.
--(b) early on, add a cut up potato (or add a grated potato when you add the meat).

Goes with salad, and/or next to or over rice. Leftovers refrigerate well. Be sure to add a good dollop of sour cream to each bowlful.

@James - excellent point on hydration. I forget this far TOO often! Especially in the cooler months. @JDD - excellent recipe - this will be my Sunday late-lunch today!

Italian Chicken Soup

You'll need a pressure cooker or HUGE pan.

Chicken (Any part but the left overs from a whole roast Chicken is great)
Any Vegies
Italian herbs

Half fill the pan/pressure cooker to the top with water and dump chicken, vegetables in it and sea salt and pepper and italian herbs to taste.

Bring to boil and keep adding water as it reduces, simmer for about 4 hours, keep adding vegetables as you see fit, potatoes will add thickness to the soup. Keep it simmering till the chicken bones break down or become very soft.

Reduce to required thickness and serve.

chicken curry (indian style)

easy chicken curry

You need a traditional blender for this (called a mixer here).

• Into the blender, put:
--6 to 10 cloves of garlic
--fresh ginger peeled and sliced, volume approx = a golf ball, or a bit less
--1 to 1-1/2 sticks of cinnamon, crumbled
--about 15 whole cloves
--4 or 5 bay leaves, crumbled (maybe remove the nib at the base of the leaves)
--about 4 dried red peppers, more or less to taste
• Then fill up the blender with chopped onion (probably 2-3 depending on size). Get it full. Chop it a little finer and more will fit in.
• Add enough water so that this will then blend, probably 2-3 japanese-style cups.
• Blend the heck out of it..., add a bit more water if all the onion doesn't get going.
• Pour into a big pan, add a can of chopped tomatoes.
• More seasonings:
--2+ teaspoons ground black pepper (or the same in peppercorns into the blender)
--1 teaspoon ground cardamom (or the equal in seeds--not pods--into the blender, if you want to hassle that)
--start with 2 teaspoons of salt (maybe a little more later)
• Add 1kg-1200g of skinned, chopped chicken thighs. (boneless)
• Bring to a boil, then simmer for about a half hour. Check the salt, a tablespoon or two of butter is nice but not necessary. (This starts off looking a little thicker, but as it gets cooking it gets more watery. Try to be stingy at first with the water in the blender.)

Done. Sort of...

As you'll see, this is a big recipe. If you're having a party, go ahead and add some veggies in the last 10-15 minutes of cooking. But this way, if there are leftovers, the veggies come out overcooked on the reheat. So we usually split it up--one part that we'll eat right then that we add veggies to, and another part that goes into the fridge veggie-less, then those are added when reheating.

Good veggies for this are string beans, cauliflower, and/or potatoes. You'll need a lot for the whole pot. As with the lentil soup, w/salad and/or next to or over rice.

--> This is pretty good on the first day right after it's done, but there's something great that happens to the flavors/texture after it has been in the fridge for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom