What's new

Reasonably Priced Kit

I love a bargain as much as the next guy and they can be found from time to time. I picked up three or four Shimano jerseys recently from Y's in Shiki as they were on sale, reduced from ¥9600 to ¥3300 each (apart from one, which had a dirty mark on it, so after asking for a further discount, I got for ¥1650. They are great tops just for bombing up and down the Arakawa in the morning, before work. I haven't had as much luck with bibs. It seems that you get what you pay for with bibs. As I've got more interested in cycling, the price of my bibs has gone up and up. My first pair were around ¥3500 and it shows. I then got a pair of DHb and I thought they were reasonable. I then got a pair of kapelmuur which were slightly better than the DHb. My next pair was a pair of "sportful total comfort". This is when I realised that expensive bibs really are worth the extra money. Next I went with a pair of Rapha Pro Team shorts. If I'm honest, I'd say the sportful bibs are just as good as the Raphas (if not more comfortable) but which do you think I feel better riding in? Yep, you guessed it....the Raphas. I don't know what it is about them and it sounds stupid but when I caught a glimpse of the white rapha writing on the leg in the mirror high in the mountains as I was climbing it gave me just a little extra boost. Like I said, it sounds stupid but they make me feel better when riding in them.
I'm anything but rich however I think most people should own at least one nice pair of bibs (and matching jersey, too ;) ).

I think most people should own at least one nice pair of bibs (and matching jersey, too ;) ).
Quite right.

CS Summer Jersey JPY 8,500
CS Summer Bib Shorts (mesh side panels) an endurance pad JPY 11,000
</plug>

IMG_5301.JPG

Reactions: TOM
Inside info - Pearl Izumi just released 2 new items and priced super good:

1) Socks - they've redesigned and released a new version. The first major redesign in 10yrs. Look for prices on these to be roughly 30% discounted in the first wave. Well under 1000 yen if I read their bulletin correctly.

2) A new cool-dry base layer. Again, totally new redesign. Under 4000 yen should be possible in many places. (I'm definitely snagging a few of these).

Pearl Izumi (Japan) and Shimano 3D are unique in Japan. We can get the 'good stuff' here that is not possible on the continent(s). Like Leicaman - I have a few Shimano Jerseys as well. A little obscure - but the fit is great and fabric really feels good for summer.

Another tip - the PI 3D 'Comfort Pants' (non-bibs) are almost always on sale somewhere - and about 3500 yen/set...

Just saying - there is alot of high quality wear available domestically.

Last tip - The Bic Camera Cycling Floor at Shinjuku (5th floor) Often has some blowout gear - especially out of season stuff. I've posted this before - but here again.

I find Decathlon make good quality stuff that they don`t add a ridiculous mark-up to. The FDJ kit is high-priced but the non-team branded stuff is just as good, well, it does the job for me. I have three pairs of bib shorts that I bought last time I was in the UK (2 years ago) and all 3 pairs are still fine (and they sell them in white, though I don`t know if I should say that, as Half-Fast Mike might post `THE PHOTO` :eek:) . However, this information isn`t of much use to you, as they are still mainly Europe based (and don`t do overseas sales - *I think*), though have now expanded to China and Singapore, so might be coming to Japan sometime soon.
For example, their shorts and jerseys

Great info, thanks for all the input. Tim, big thanks again for your insight into the business side of cycling. I have been looking for a pad to sew into a pair if cycling shorts to make a double padded short for long, rough road days

I find Decathlon make good quality stuff that they don`t add a ridiculous mark-up to. The FDJ kit is high-priced but the non-team branded stuff is just as good, well, it does the job for me. I have three pairs of bib shorts that I bought last time I was in the UK (2 years ago) and all 3 pairs are still fine (and they sell them in white, though I don`t know if I should say that, as Half-Fast Mike might post `THE PHOTO` :eek:) . However, this information isn`t of much use to you, as they are still mainly Europe based (and don`t do overseas sales - *I think*), though have now expanded to China and Singapore, so might be coming to Japan sometime soon.
For example, their shorts and jerseys

I was going to mention Decathlon but didnt as I know they dont do "overseas" sales. I am a great fan of their kit, it is nicely understated & wears well. Also their sizes are still sensible unlike a lot of places that seem to have gone up a size or two . I am normally an XL but have some new Endura club kit that I could probably fit a medium of.

Last tip - The Bic Camera Cycling Floor at Shinjuku (5th floor) Often has some blowout gear - especially out of season stuff. I've posted this before - but here again.

Ooh, didnt know about that. I'll give it a try next time I am in the area.

A few of the vendors / distributors have booths at the various hillclimb and enduro races; if you look around you can find some hefty discounts on very nice gear. Especially if you buy e.g. winter clothes in springtime. I managed to find Pearl Izumi and Nalini jerseys, shorts, bibs, jackets and gloves.

I know it was mentioned earlier that DHB gear was getting expensive - but thats because the discount you can get on it is now huge. I get 12% off for being a regular customer, but I've seen that regularly exceeded by promo's on their gear taking it up to 30% off. Then there is usually some Japan-specific Wiggle coupon that cuts another 20-25% off (yep work's in addition rather than instead of), so I'd estimate on DHB gear you should at least check you are getting 35% off or wait a week for a better offer.

"Black P. Bike Short with Pin Stripe (formerly known as the Black Pearl)" comes -- yes, it's a singular "short"! -- in seven sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL, 3XL, 4XL. "M" is 32 to 34 of those "inches" that Americans quaintly retain for waists (though not bike frame sizes). that span (easily) encompasses me. If there are seven options, then (ignoring names) the fourth looks like the medium one; anyway, the fourth ("XL") is 38 to 40. Meanwhile, "4XL" is 50 to 52. Presumably a significant number of people buy and wear this skin-tight product (more than would buy "XS").

Silver lining: "Larger riders" (shall we call them?) should keep alive the market for 48-spoke hubs and rims.

Great thread and lots of useful information! Why not try custom wear? It's usually less expensive than retail and higher quality and very simple to order. As a modest plug, contact me at [email protected] and can help you with pricing for Hincapie Customer wear - same kit as Team BMC wore and made by the Hincapie family factory in Medellin Columbia using Swiss and Italian materials and very comfortable chamois. Though there is a 10pc minimum, I have priced this (aggressively) less than the if purchased in the US, and less than other custom cycling wear companies' top end lines. I"d be happy to send you a fit kit so that you/your group/team can try as well for perfect sizing and to actually see the quality prior to purchasing. You can also click on the Hincapie Custom Wear banner at the bottom of the thread for more details.

I sent an inquiry to the contact form on your site a few weeks back and didn't get a reply? Maybe you didn't get it?

Great thread and lots of useful information! Why not try custom wear? It's usually less expensive than retail and higher quality and very simple to order. As a modest plug, contact me at [email protected] and can help you with pricing for Hincapie Customer wear - same kit as Team BMC wore and made by the Hincapie family factory in Medellin Columbia using Swiss and Italian materials and very comfortable chamois. Though there is a 10pc minimum, I have priced this (aggressively) less than the if purchased in the US, and less than other custom cycling wear companies' top end lines. I"d be happy to send you a fit kit so that you/your group/team can try as well for perfect sizing and to actually see the quality prior to purchasing. You can also click on the Hincapie Custom Wear banner at the bottom of the thread for more details.

Sorry about that! We just completed updating the website and adding Japanese - and likely when it happened as I unfortunately do not have the mad site building ninja skills that Owen does! I'll send you an email right away.

Back
Top Bottom