What's new

Rear light recommendations

mrkamot

Maximum Pace
Dec 28, 2010
Hi, was hoping to get the topeak redlite aero usb 1w but rakuten and amazon japan searches tell me it will take longer to deliver as they do not know when the stock would come in. Any recommendations on rear lights that you use? Must have features are usb charging and a longish reflector (used to have the topeak highlite combo but gave them away recently to a friend who was cycling home without any form of light). Thank you!

Good choice on the Cateye X2, I think this is the one that acts as a rear brake light too when you slow down.

I have Cateye's Rapid X2, and apart from missing Bluetooth connectivity, I really, really like it. I also have see.sense smartlights, and while they work great, I have had problems with water ingress and condensation. After a ride in the rain, two lights were literally flooded.

Had the same problem with a see.sense ace rear light - albeit after about a year of use. I got in contact with them and they replaced it. Got a cateye rapid X2 while I was waiting for the replacement from see.sense and agree it's a great light.

Had the same problem with a see.sense ace rear light - albeit after about a year of use. I got in contact with them and they replaced it. Got a cateye rapid X2 while I was waiting for the replacement from see.sense and agree it's a great light.
Same here, their customer service was great, they sent me a refurbished unit after sending them pictures of water in the old one. So I can confirm customer service is great. The Cateye X2 has had to be replaced once, too, but has been flawless after that for 4 years, I think.

Ended up pulling the trigger on the topeak redlite aero usb 1w, it says i should get it by october 16. if that falls through, will definitely snatch up the cateye x2. Thanks again for the tips and hopefully this would be helpful for other people who are looking for rear bike light recommendations!

I can explicitly NOT recommend the CatEye Omni3. It has a feature that automatically turns off during "daylight". It seems their definition of "daylight" and my definition are quite different. And it keeps turning off as I ride the streets of Tokyo, even in dark shadows. Frustratingly, there is now way to turn off this "feature".

I don't know about the Omni3, but my own Cat Eye something-something automatically turns off during "daylight" if this is what I want it to do. It's possible to bypass this.

I supplement my Cat Eye with a "Gkeni" brake light. (Actually a rapid-deceleration light, but let's not nitpick.) This has three modes: flashing slowly when dark, flashing quickly when dark, and continuous when dark. Plus a brake light. Actually I seldom turn it on -- only when I think a brake light would be helpful or when I worry that the Cat Eye is running out of juice. I don't know how well mine works as a brake light but a friend's works for this and also lights up rather often at times of no apparent deceleration. So the device is a bit quirky, but I think it's still worth its modest price.

@microcord Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the kenetic part of the X2 was worth it. Often, IMO, the more complicated things get, the more problems. So, I think I'll get the non-kenetic X3.

Late to the party, but have heard wondrous things about the Bontrager Flare RT for daytime visibility (which is when most accidents occur, but not sure if this stat holds true in Japan).

Garmin Varia is another option if you want proximity sensing of approaching traffic from the rear, broadcasted to your bike computer.

Ditto Bontrager Flare.

I never ride without lights, especially daytime running lights. Bontrager flare is visible up to about 2km, ask @luka

My other favourite brand for performance, design, usefulness and price is a Melbourne brand knog. USB, bright as hell and programmable. Got myself their Cobber which is curved and gives extra visibility from angle as well as rear/front. I'm using their modular POWER for front light. Tons of modes, can program, change lamp heads, use to recharge devices etc.

Back
Top Bottom