What's new

Tech Rear light offset to the right side - options?

jonmanjiro

Maximum Pace
Dec 29, 2019
I'm currently using a Bontrager Flare RT rear light mounted on the underside of my saddle and its definitely not lacking in terms of brightness so I know cars can see me, but after numerous too close for comfort passes by cars/vans (why are they almost always white vans?!) in recent weeks while riding at night, I'm thinking of also mounting a rear light more to the right side of the bike to better indicate its width and hopefully force cars to give me a wider berth (probably wishful thinking but worth a try). An obvious solution is to attach a light to the right side seat stay, and I guess I could always DIY something to stick further out, but maybe there any other options worth considering. Ideas?

I really like this one from Knog
Unfortunately, i lost the rear one, so i`m using only the front one. The battery lasts for at least a 10 hour ride without flashing the "low battery red light", way better than another bigger knog i bought for the rear.

a flashing red light strapped to your right arm? back of your helmet? backpack?

get it up higher as under a saddle limits visibility esp for a driver in a long stream of cars.

I ride with very wide reflective ankle straps that get a lot of attention as they are moving up and down and can be seen 360 degrees.

the other thing is if you ride well to the left it encourages drivers to crowd you. Don't be afraid to take your safe space.

One or other of these ideas might have the desired effect.

I like the pool noodle one. Some 3M retroreflective tape could be added for extra visibility at night.

2Tgv9fyAfWc3aoCTmI6qRR8Uk39uFwqAAYIrfxABkl4.jpg

51Qiwm+sjbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

noodle.jpg

x5LTs.jpg

One or other of these ideas might have the desired effect.

I like the pool noodle one. Some 3M retroreflective tape could be added for extra visibility at night.
Probably effective but definitely not one for fashionista roadies :D

It would be cool to have an automatically extending bar with light attached on the end that springs, say, one metre out to the side when it detects a car will pass too close. Would probably cause an accident though lol

the other thing is if you ride well to the left it encourages drivers to crowd you. Don't be afraid to take your safe space.

I'm certainly not timid on the road and generally don't ride along in the gutter, but yeah... take your safe space. Good point.

Most drivers are fine though. Its just the 1 in 1000 ***holes who don't give a crap about cyclists that are the problem really.

I have a Cateye light on my right seat stay (in addition to my fender-mounted dynamo rear light), another Cateye on the back of the helmet and 3M reflective tape on the helmet and the crank arms. The crank arms in particular will generate a pattern of recurring reflection as you are pedalling which helps identify you as a cyclist. The same would be true for a reflective ankle band.

My idea is that the flashing lights aren't helpful to drivers as it makes estimating the closing distance more difficult. One of each? Flash centre, solid right.

My idea is that the flashing lights aren't helpful to drivers as it makes estimating the closing distance more difficult. One of each? Flash centre, solid right.

That's what I settled on. I got a Cateye Rapid X3 (this thing is bright!) shortly after I posted this thread, and I've been mounting it on my right seatstay turned on (no flashing) combined with a flashing Bontrager Flare RT rear light mounted on the underside of my saddle. I noticed straight away that cars were giving me a wider berth at night.

I have this conundrum when I want to ride a bike with a saddle bag attached. The rear light's visibility of the rear light is just not on the same level. And the ones I have (Cateye X2 and see.sense rear lights) do not neatly attach to the saddle bag. (In case of the see.sense, it does attach with a clip on bracket, but I've lost two see.sense's and one Cateye this way …)

Back
Top Bottom