What's new

Tech REar adapter for track bike

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Time I got legal, putting some plates on the back. What do you guys use to protect the paint from these beasts?
I am thinking some old tubes cut up and wrapped over the seat stays might work? Thoughts?
original5_img001.jpg

3Rensho1.jpg

Seems like electrical tape in this image. I'd use something which has the minimum amount of give in it, just so when you grab a handful of brake it doesn't allow for any twisting action.

Nice! Much more pleasing to the eye than the giant metal plate version.
Only issue I can see is that your regular pc plod will probably still think you're riding with no rear brake and pull you over for a talking to. :D

They gotta catch me first! I got pulled up by a 50+ copper a couple of years ago. He started ranting about brakes in front of the young recruit admonishing me for not having brakes. After a couple of minutes I finally spoke and pointed at the little discs attached to my hubs at the front and rear, I thanked him for his hard work and winked at the young guy and rode off. It really was much easier for cops when bikes looked like bikes.

When I lived in Shinjuku I was getting stopped every other day. What they look for is simply a single speed with drop bars. I just mounted brake levers on my bars (old Modolo Kronos) and that seemed to be enough for awhile. They'd grab the lever and pull it and say 'so desu ne'. I guess the fact that they weren't attached to anything didn't matter. A couple smarter cops later on looked for a 'brake'. I have a rear CHUB HUB wheel, so I told them it was in there. That worked, too. Then finally, the whole front brake thang was required. Changed to drilled fork and mounted a brake.

ANY kind of braking accessory totally ruins the lines of a track bike, besides tearing up the sidewalls of your rims - so it doesn't matter to me once you need to put it on, whether it's seat stay or chainstay version just make it so it can remove with a wingnut. Cables should definitely NOT be attached to the frame by clips. The cable should just be wrapped a couple times around. If it takes you longer than 60s to remove the brakes , they are far too permanent.

I have a couple sets of the chainstay mount brakes. They work kinda ok - but on tighter frames they are difficult (if impossible) to mount.

None of the cops actually asked me to prove the brakes were functional, by the way. I know many riders (including me) who just mount them without pads and use the cheapest, crappiest , caliper they can find.

Back
Top Bottom