Re-intro - Moving to Yokohama Soon!

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Hello Everyone!
I am back! I was a little active here back in the wintertime, however recently life has been very busy.

After 3 long years, my wife and I got married Aug 4th. I will be moving to Yokohama in the next week or two. My plan is to try an take it slow. Move, get acclimated to not only Japan, but married life.

I am a mountain biker deep down. I have been on fat tires for a long long while. I used to work in a bike shop in the late 90s and loved working for a small shop. When I graduated college, I was offered a much higher paying job with a bigger bike company... a little over a year later, I hated the bicycle industry and never looked back. I have been working with software ever since. Amazing how a corporate 'business first' attitude can kill someone's love for working in a bike shop. I loved sharing my hobby with others and could not wait to get more people out and riding with me...

I do ride just about anything. I have a Salsa Fargo that I enjoy riding with my wife. The bike is fantastic, but does not inspire me to go fast. It is my favorite bike simply due to the comfort factor.

I have a cross bike. I bought it when I was commuting to work. 10km each way was a perfect commute. In the morning, I would take it easy to not get sweaty and in the afternoons, I could cut though a mountain bike trail and just skip all the jumps. The cross bike did perfect. I was hoping for a bullet proof road bike, and for commuting this fit the bill. I have entered in two races with it. One was an unsanctioned cross race that involved a 'whiskey' shortcut. The other race was a Mountain Cross. I enjoyed both, however I will win none! I am a mid pack rider at best.

Last year I came across an incredible deal on a road bike. It is a trek 2.1 - the owner was in an non bicycle related accident and was looking to sell his 3 month old bike. He had it on craigslist for half price. I snatched it up and do the occasional road ride with friends. I live in a very very very flat place, so we can average decent speeds. The hills in Japan have me wondering how much I will suffer and what my actual ability will be.

My last bike is a Soma Groove. It is the bike i have owned the longest, rode the most and put the most miles on. From what I gather, when I move to Yokohama, this will also be the bike that sits the most un-used. This makes me a little sad, however I will appreciate it more when I get to ride it!

---
If anyone is in the Yokohama area and is willing to just take it easy with me and teach me routes, etiquette for Japanese streets, etc... I would love to meet up. Of course - I am not sure of my exact schedule (I may be there this Sunday) - and I will still have to unpack etc...

I am hoping to find a group to ride with and just enjoy the ride. The Half Fast page on FB has me excited to make it out there for one of their rides!

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
I'm here now! Woot! It was a long flight, followed by a long bus ride, followed by a taxi...

My Salsa and my wife's Salsa will be here today (shipped it from the airport). Now it is time to get set up for work and take care of housekeeping item. Looking forward to meeting some riders and discovering the area!

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Thanks for the welcome!

I will check out half fast. I check their facebook page from time to time. Seems like this crowd may fit my desire. Only downside now... I do not have my road bike.

Are their any rides in my area? I am not acclimated with the geography yet so I have no idea when something may be near me.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
There are several Yokohama riders here, myself and Mike both live here although our riding is basically race training, hard and fast with no stops unless its to take on water.

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Glad to hear there are some people local. I certainly am not in race shape, so it sounds like I will not make many rides with you, however I would like to pick your brain for routes and biker friendly areas. Also, being new here - I would like to know if there are any issues I need to worry about.

And... if anyone is ever up for a drink or a meal, I am happy to meet up.

Looking forward to learning my way around.